become greener - eat less meat...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Pete has it right - it's simple logic that the energy from meat will only be a tiny fraction of the energy supplied by crops to the animal to make it grow. Then there are all the transport, slaughter, butchering and packaging costs. I'm not prepared to give up meat, but I minimise the impact by buying locally produced free-range, and eating less of it.

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
Pete has it right - it's simple logic that the energy from meat will only be a tiny fraction of the energy supplied by crops to the animal to make it grow. Then there are all the transport, slaughter, butchering and packaging costs. I'm not prepared to give up meat, but I minimise the impact by buying locally produced free-range, and eating less of it.

Life's too short for all this bollox! ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Life's too short for all this bollox! ;)

I dunno, your little 'un should have a good 70-80 years to live. I hope there are some resources left in the world for her to enjoy.

col

Legendary Member
I think we have already gone passed the point of no return.We have too much need for rescources now,with the infestation of the planet by ourselves,there are too many of us,unless there is a drastic reduction in the near future,i fear there is no viable solution?

Arch

Married to Night Train
col said:
I think we have already gone passed the point of no return.We have too much need for rescources now,with the infestation of the planet by ourselves,there are too many of us,unless there is a drastic reduction in the near future,i fear there is no viable solution?

My fear too. If it wasn't for my nephew's future, I don't think I'd care much...

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
I dunno, your little 'un should have a good 70-80 years to live. I hope there are some resources left in the world for her to enjoy.

Like I said, this is just pure doom mongering, nothing more, nothing less.

Doom mongers have been around since the first humans came down from the trees and they will most likely be with us for some time more.

My advice would be to relax and get on with enjoying your life rather than worrying yourself silly about this nonsense.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
My fear too. If it wasn't for my nephew's future, I don't think I'd care much...

The worst thing that can possibly happen is that he dies. But he is going to do that anyway, so why worry?

col

Legendary Member
Arch said:

Same here,for my son,but its a lost battle i feel,as its all profit related,so if anything brilliant comes along to help,if it doesnt pay,it wont be used.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
Like I said, this is just pure doom mongering, nothing more, nothing less.

Doom mongers have been around since the first humans came down from the trees and they will most likely be with us for some time more.

My advice would be to relax and get on with enjoying your life rather than worrying yourself silly about this nonsense.

I enjoy my life just as much as I can, in my circumstances, thankyou. I regard minimising my impact on the planet as a challenge, something to achieve, and the upside is, the better I do, generally, the less it costs me to live, and the less I'll have to work, giving me more time to do stuff I want.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
bloody hell, you doom merchants, lighten up a bit eh?
not the end of the world.

sheeesh.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
The worst thing that can possibly happen is that he dies. But he is going to do that anyway, so why worry?

It would be nice if he didn't have to live in a society where people had to fight to survive, or everything was rationed...

Believe me, I don't regard dying as the worst that can happen. Death is just death, and it's done with. Living a shoot life is worse.

col

Legendary Member
I agree with you Dom,we try to enjoy our lives as best we can,but when you have kids,and think about their future,ie school grades to get them the best job that they may enjoy,the future of the planet creeps into it too,with all the hype and news telling us whats wrong,you cant help but think about it.

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
I enjoy my life just as much as I can, in my circumstances, thankyou. I regard minimising my impact on the planet as a challenge, something to achieve, and the upside is, the better I do, generally, the less it costs me to live, and the less I'll have to work, giving me more time to do stuff I want.

That sounds like a marvellous philosophy to me, but why does this always have to leave to the eco-evangelising and doom mongering?

domtyler

Über Member
col said:
I agree with you Dom,we try to enjoy our lives as best we can,but when you have kids,and think about their future,ie school grades to get them the best job that they may enjoy,the future of the planet creeps into it too,with all the hype and news telling us whats wrong,you cant help but think about it.

Yeah, it is hard not to get a bit emotional about the planet these days the amount we get it stuffed down our throats from all quarters.

It's interesting to see how much actual truth and fact is behind all the doom mongering though.

Top Bottom