Becoming a middle aged student

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
since job hunting is proving to be a bleak and miserable experience... I'm toying with the idea of going to university to enhance my prospects... but the question is, can i afford to study?

I've had a quick look at grants and loans for mature students, but I'm none the wiser regarding how much I'd have to live on whilst doing a full time university course.... so can anyone offer a ball park figure per annum that a mature student with no kids, living in rented accommodation would get via student grants and loans???

perplexed

Guru
I'd have a good look at the Open University. They're very well organised, and cheaper then most. It can be hard work, but the resources available are good and there is quite a bit of support.

Blue

Legendary Member
Mrs Blue is in her 2nd year of an OU degree and loving every minute. N Ireland, where we live, is cheaper with regards to fees. I can't give her age, of course, but .......(she has a bus pass!!!)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a grant these days - but the Student Loan Company could pay your fees and offer some maintenance as well. Here is their website.

I am just embarking on an OU degree (I'm 57 and have taken early retirement). It works out at £5,300 per level (a level is equivalent to a year's full time study - there are three levels) and so I'm expecting to pay nearly £16,000 for the complete degree. It is cheaper than some but not what I would call a bargain - higher education, these days is an expensive pastime.
And that's just the fees. It doesn't take into account living expenses while you study.
The advantage of the OU is that you can continue to work, but the OP isn't in a position to do that...

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

it's not a pastime or just something to keep me occupied... it's to try to get myself a better job in three/four years' time than anything i can get now. The tuition fees don't really bother me as it's supposed to be an investment in my future.

just found the student finance calculator...
You could get per year:

• £9,000 Tuition Fee Loan

• £3,862 Maintenance Loan (for living costs)

• £3,387 Maintenance Grant (for living costs)

so about £600 a month to live on, plus anything i can earn on the side... it would be just about doable if i don't eat, or get any gas, electric or phone bills.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I did a post grad course a few years back and I think the fees were about £6 - 7k/year, mine was a weekend course as I 'work'.

Although I persuaded my employers to pay for it I did it specifically to get a better job elsewhere, I didn't need to in the end as they offered me a better job anyway, took them a while to realise I was special.

The main thing for me, being in a full-time job and we have small kids is fitting it all in as it's bloody hard work. Knowing how hard it was now, if I had the same choice again I'd probably not do it - nice to have the qualification though.

Still waiting for my gap 'middle-class jolly' year.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I have never been to college or uni, not even school often. However I have studied my trade over the years adding different skills to it, rather than go off and start from fresh, is this not something you could do.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I did an MA part time (in the late 90s, paid for it myself, I was in my mid 30s), with 3 nippers, while working full time Mon to Fri 9-5. Wouldn't do it again, it was hard work, but do-able (I got a distinction :becool:) (wife was also working... no idea how the hell we managed tbh).
Now I actually work as a lecturer, teaching MA and BA courses ... to be honest, as far as I know, many/most students also have at least a part time job... the hours in the classroom are bugger all, but for each classroom hour, add at least 3 out of class hours to do yourself justice, and take it from there.

I'm sure my lecturers said 5 hours home study for every hour in class, maybe they upped it knowing we'd whittle it down a bit. I reckon I got my 5 hours squeezed into about 1 - 2, I am a lazy bastard though.

I got my fees paid when I went back to do a Masters degree, can't remember how it worked tho as it was a while ago. But I did also have a job: Monday - Thursday at Uni then Thursday - Sunday working away from home I order to pay the bills. Well worth it in the long run tho.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@MontyVeda - is it undergraduate or postgraduate?

Oh, and there's no such term as 'Mature student' after the age discrimination act, although universities such as mine still use it.

Basically if it's UG you can get a Student Loan and fees covered; you only need to begin paying them back once you earn £21k+ and then at a set rate for 30 years, after which they're wiped.

If it's PG then it's a bit more complex.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Well I certainly wish you all the best, interesting subject and one I would also enjoy.
it's something i do as a hobby and the 3D design module was the most interesting aspect of the Btec A&D course i did years ago... it's just a case of whether i can afford to be a student or not. It'd certainly broaden my horizons in the long term.

Top Bottom