Becoming 'ally' and kit savvy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Firstly, when Wiggle gave me the option of describing my approach to buying cycling equipment and accessories i was delighted to see the option of 'value for money'. I am that kind of rider; i like to have kit that is functional and represents value for my hard earned buck.

That said on sportives i see lots of riders in cool kit; Castelli, Rapha etc. and i'm starting to get a bit of kit envy. I've started thinking i need some new bib shorts, tops, helmet, shoes, cap, glasses, even socks.... basically a whole new wardrobe.

So, fellow kids, what's cool these days? And given that it is so damn expensive how the hell do you manage to buy any of this stuff off the rack without sinking half a grand on an outfit??!

vickster

Legendary Member
Sigma often have discounts on higher end kit, with the benefit of free delivery and returns

I’d say Castelli, Rapha etc are the antithesis of cool being so common among the lesser spotted/striped/patterned sportive MAMIL ;)

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Sigma often have discounts on higher end kit, with the benefit of free delivery and returns

I’d say Castelli, Rapha etc are the antithesis of cool being so common among the lesser spotted/striped/patterned sportive MAMIL ;)

See, i'm totally out of the loop! Cycling poseur is not what i wanted to be but i'm at a critical juncture where i want to look as cool as i ride ;)

J_H1026

I was definitely in the camp of 'Castelli is for posers' and quite liked my rocking my £16 in the sale Funkier bib shorts. I then did the unthinkable and bought a set of Castelli endurance shorts, just in case, for LEJOG. I'm so glad I did. Whilst eye-wateringly expensive (for me) at £104, they were nothing short of a revelation. Apart from the dodgy sizing requirements, they are great. I did offset the Castelli's with a pair of ankle socks that my other, more fashion conscious rider friends, despised which I think brought a sense of balance to my ensemble. I still use my bargain basement kit for short rides (commuting etc), but when the mileage picks up, out come the poser shorts I'm afraid!

Ciar

Veteran
Baggies + Mountain Warehouse wicking tshirts are a perfect combo for commuting, wouldn't be seen dead in bib shorts just standard issue Funkier shorts hidden by said Baggies, defo would never wear anything made by Rapha or Castelli, that's normally worn by people flying past me rlj'ing down Stratford Broadway :biggrin:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Personally I love my Castelli kit, not because of the scorpion but because it fits and works really well. For me it is tremendous value for money, I don't think I have have too many duff purchases. Having said that - I only buy it at ~50% discount, so value for money is easier to attain.

Jimidh

Veteran
Don’t listen to the scruffs on here - there is nothing wrong with high end kit especially if you watch out for sales.

I think i’ve only ever bought one bit of Castelli kit at full price and that’s only because i’d been in the pub and went past a bike shop and was drawn in by all the shiny new clothes!!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Not sure that Wiggle is the go-to-value-for-money place it used to be. The prices of their good, basic DHB kit seem to have increased, while the the range has got smaller, to be replaced with ever more expensive kit. Just this morning I got an email promoting their new Wiggle 'boutique', and even higher prices. Seems to be a case of 'think of a number and double it' pricing.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Personally I love my Castelli kit, not because of the scorpion but because it fits and works really well.

+1

I came across another rider at the weekend who was wearing an identical Castelli Gabba to the one I was wearing...
Me: Nice top!
Him: Yeah, they're common as muck. (not sounding too impressed)
Me: That's because they're good!

Unfortunately, I've - ahem - filled out a bit since I bought it, so I probably look like the worst kind of MAMIL wearing it, but I don't care, it does the job.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Not sure that Wiggle is the go-to-value-for-money place it used to be. The prices of their good, basic DHB kit seem to have increased, while the the range has got smaller, to be replaced with ever more expensive kit. Just this morning I got an email promoting their new Wiggle 'boutique', and even higher prices. Seems to be a case of 'think of a number and double it' pricing.

Well they have eliminated the main competition..... It was always gonna happen.

Top Bottom