Becoming more sociable !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Last week, I had a nice wee blether with a guy driving a BMW 4x4 (which was towing one of those funny-looking Chrysler cars on a trailer) as we sat in adjacent lanes at the traffic lights. He was admiring the bike, talking about fitness and telling me he thought the woman who he'd seen try to 'overtake' me as we'd been stationary at the previous set of lights was an idiot (she was - she tried to pull alongside me, and in doing so was straddling the white line in the middle of the road and causing oncoming cars to have to swerve around her. I think she thought I was supposed to doff my helmet and move off to sit in the gutter so she could have my place on the road).

Then today, not far from work, a guy on a hybrid pulled up on my left at some lights and I surprised myself by saying 'Morning' and then telling him that the lights looked like they were 'stuck' on red as they couldn't sense our bikes. Once a car pulled up behind and triggered the lights, we pulled off and he overtook me and put on the power. As he pulled by, I said "See you later !" and then decided to stop easing off and set off after him. Nice to have someone pull you out of a pootling reverie and get the energy going again !

Anyway - I'm wondering what's happening to me as I seem to be getting a little bit more sociable on the bike again rather than just keeping my head down. Perhaps there's something in the summer air - anyone else finding that they start relating to fellow road users more at this time of year ?

Oh bog off!

Maz

Guru
goo_mason said:
anyone else finding that they start relating to fellow road users more at this time of year ?
I'd stopped at some lights on the way home yesterday when a motorcyclist pulls up alongside me and starts chatting to me, admiring my bike (it's only a Sirrus, btw, but it is all-black and kinda minimalist) and asking how fast it could go. I had to remind him that the chassis was great but the 'engine' was a bit worn out!

Actually I've waved to a couple of kids recently if I've noticed them staring at me (as kids do when they see a crazy man on a bike). It tends to elicit and smile and a wave in return. ;)

(All perfectly innocent I might add before anyone makes any crude comments about young children etc!)

hackbike 6

They all look at me suspiciously when im on the bike.At one time I was worried the police might shoot me with all those battery boxes and wires hanging down.;)

gazzaputt said:
See the same faces every day and always raise hand in acknowledgement but never get a response.

It works odd around here, the roadies generally say hello, as do the ladies but blokes on MTB's are an unsociable bunch, I pass loads of them every day and they never say hello, they come into the workshop to have their bikes serviced though, then they are all chatty, but not on the road.

kushtrim

while everyone does seem to complain about other road users on this site a lot, iv found my short commute to uni and back in central London very uneventful (in terms of abusive road users). Im sure it's a bit different in less populated areas but any cyclist complaining about constant abuse in London is just lying, the roads just aren't that bad.

Never struck up a conversation with anyone though

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had a few short conversations at traffic lights recently - bike to work scheme, traffic, weather (of course) etc. etc.

Even had a laugh with another cyclist when some van driver was having a go at a lady who had accidently blocked the lane due to traffic - not as if anyone was going anywhere..........

domtyler

Über Member
kushtrim said:
while everyone does seem to complain about other road users on this site a lot, iv found my short commute to uni and back in central London very uneventful (in terms of abusive road users). Im sure it's a bit different in less populated areas but any cyclist complaining about constant abuse in London is just lying, the roads just aren't that bad.

Never struck up a conversation with anyone though

We're all liers are we? :angry:

Things do tend to occur in peaks and troughs, I am certainly having a interesting week after months of peace. But then again, maybe I'm just imagining it! I probably do a fair bit more mileage than you do too as you said you're only going round the corner.

Top Bottom