Bedding in new disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its been asked before, found differing ideas on the web so thought would ask to see if there is an agreed method that works best :okay:

Pull the levers!

Seriously though, a few miles to 'burn off' any contamination that may have got on them during fitting and you'll be right.

mustang1

Guru
There are 4 disk brake bikes I have access to.

The 1st bike was not bed in. It used to squeak on the odd occasion but doesn't any more.
The 2nd bike was bed in. It used to squeak on the odd occasion but doesn't any more.
The 3rd bike was not bed in. It used to squeak on the odd occasion but doesn't any more.
The 4th bike was bed in. It used to squeak on the odd occasion but doesn't any more.
I have not used any special disk cleaner on any bikes, just water.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

There are 4 disk brake bikes I have access to.

The 1st bike was not bed in. It used to squeak on the odd occasion but doesn't any more.
The 2nd bike was bed in. It used to squeak on the odd occasion but doesn't any more.
The 3rd bike was not bed in. It used to squeak on the odd occasion but doesn't any more.
The 4th bike was bed in. It used to squeak on the odd occasion but doesn't any more.
I have not used any special disk cleaner on any bikes, just water.
I never bed in the Whyte MTB from new and it never squeaked, nor my sons Frog MTB and the wife just got on hers and rode too without issue so guess that’s my reason for asking. Does it make much difference bedding them in this gather speed and pull leaver to an almost stop, repeat 10 times per brake and all that

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I never bed in the Whyte MTB from new and it never squeaked, nor my sons Frog MTB and the wife just got on hers and rode too without issue so guess that’s my reason for asking. Does it make much difference bedding them in this gather speed and pull leaver to an almost stop, repeat 10 times per brake and all that
Doesn't make much difference at all, as by the time you've been out on a ride and slowed down 10 times, guess what.....:okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A couple of quick stops and your good to go. That's what seems to works for me with my road bike.

If you live in flatland it can be hard generating any heat on disk brakes.
I take mine to the steepest little hill in the city and get up to about 20mph then brake. Several times.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

If you live in flatland it can be hard generating any heat on disk brakes.
I take mine to the steepest little hill in the city and get up to about 20mph then brake. Several times.
Hills unavoidable round here, 20 mins from Lake district :sad:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I am gentle on the brakes on my bikes - I hate losing momentum!

My new bike has TRP Spyre cable discs; these were great from new, but lost their effectiveness after a few hundred miles. My LBS said I had probably glazed the pads through light use. A quick rub with Emery paper and the were back to normal.

Now I make a point of breaking hard a couple of times on a long ride.

Top Bottom