Been Promoted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Slightly an aside as I usually do, what does everybody think about the miss selling of these items on TV, part of the advert is a guy walking over the kids toys in the dark, why the lazy barstool hasn't put them away before he goes to bed or why the kids aren't taught to put them away is another mater, but he then says 'Alexa put on the lights' at which point the lights come on, but there is a huge expenditure, from buying the thing in the box to getting it to be able to control the lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 26715

How is it mis-selling? It's demonstrating the possibilities. That's what adverts do...
Because it should make it clear that additional items will be required, just like a bank that has to flash up APR costs.
As for it being hugely expensive to get it to do do things like control the lights, it isn't really. Mr R can turn our lights on or off via Alexa (and via his phone) and the bits to do so were relatively cheap.
I suppose that depends on your definition of 'hugely expensive' against 'relatively cheap' but having a quick Google suggests a light switch is £81 each switch plus a man that can to fit, which I believe is in my category not yours, but you can get a plug-in version for £25 but their uses could be limited.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
As for it being hugely expensive to get it to do do things like control the lights, it isn't really.
If you negotiate hard when house buying you can get a device to instantly control the lights installed next to the doorway of every room in your house.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not averse to using my index finger to press a switch when I want light. Its hardly onerous.

I'm using Alexa to listen to music, Radio 4, get the time, get the news, and random facts from wikipedia when something piques my curiosity.

Sandra6

Veteran
I hate Alexa, she argues with me all the time and then tells me I'm not very nice if I swear at her. It's like having another child!
As for the lights thing - ours cost around £20 a pop, and that included a colour changing bulb.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I don't think your wife introducing a cheaper and more efficient person to the household constitutes a "promotion" for you. More like borrowed time. Are there any functions you perform that are beyond its capabilities? That may be the only thing that saves you

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm not averse to using my index finger to press a switch when I want light. Its hardly onerous.

I'm using Alexa to listen to music, Radio 4, get the time, get the news, and random facts from wikipedia when something piques my curiosity.
Soon to be compatible with some Ford INFOtainment centres, you may lose her!

Top Bottom