Been put on bisoprolol (Beta Blocker)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Often I think they don't really know - it's a case of try it and see. I was dreading telling my GP that I didn't want to take the beta blockers any more, but he just said oh well, if they didn't suit you you're better off without them. I stopped taking statins because they made me feel awful, and he said much the same about those.
I think that's quite common. GPs don't tend to force medication on their patients if they are getting adverse side-effects. Sometimes they suggest stopping, and sometimes they prescribe an alternative that might suit them better. Before my spot of bother, I was totally against any form of long-term medication. I'm totally relaxed about it now, but I've been very lucky with the lack of side-effects and the 're-plumbing' has made a tremendous difference.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I dimly remember some stories in the media about bounties being given to GPs if they prescribe statins to a their patients. I'm not sure if they were true, but in the light of recent revisions in concepts of 'healthy eating', I think the idea is a pretty bad one.

OP
OP
w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Often I think they don't really know - it's a case of try it and see. I was dreading telling my GP that I didn't want to take the beta blockers any more, but he just said oh well, if they didn't suit you you're better off without them. I stopped taking statins because they made me feel awful, and he said much the same about those.
One of the celebrity GP's, more on the comedic scale, has been very frank about how much guess work can go on. There's a huge amount of stuff that could go wrong with you, no doctor knows it all. They often fall back on the obvious first, the medical equivalent of turn it off & on again. It's to be expected really.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
You don't need to paste the graphs to be honest, you can do just as well by looking at the average heart rate and speed over the journeys. If you put the numbers into excel, you can do a t-test which will give you an idea of the likelihood that the before and after results are actually different. There are more robust ways of checking, and it won't control for seasonal variations in the weather, but you get the idea :smile:
Tbh I found the graphs interesting thank you.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
About a week ago I was put on the lowest dose of bisoprolol as a precaution. The cardiologist said I was fine to continue riding at this point (which was handy because it means I was doing it with approval rather than against advice) but I might find the riding harder. As I ride with a heart monitor, I've been watching the results and thought this might be of interest to others. Sorry if it isn't.

65800_original.png

This is over the same route, logged on a Garmin Touring + using a Garmin HRM, riding the commuter bike (Sirrus)
23/01/15 - without betablockers
12.06 miles 49.37 minutes 14.6 avg speed
20/2/15 - with betablockers
12.15 miles 49:06 minutes 14.9 avg speed

I'm an overweight 45 year old male, commuting regularly over the same route, trying for 4 times a week minimum.

Anyone else on similar medication? Thoughts?
Never seen or heard of a vegan with HBP or obesity.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I'm on bisoprolol, atorvastatin, ramipril and ezetimibe. I'm very fortunate to have no side effects at all. Without wishing to tempt Fate, I feel really well.
You're very lucky. I have 5 stents, but luckily have naturally low BP. I've reacted very badly to Beta Blockers, and Ramipril, and have worked my way through every Statin known, with unbearable side effects from all of them. Muscle aches and cramping were severely limiting my capacity for exercise.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm guessing vegans don't get familial hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia or anything else hereditary either :whistle:

steviek

I was put on beta blockers a few years ago and they had such a disruptive effect on the work that I was doing that I was no longer capable of doing it. Worse, I could no longer face doing it once I eventually got off them. I spoke to an old friend who is a GP and he said he would never put someone active on BBs unless there was no alternative. He recommended ''calcium channel antagonists'' (felodipine, in my case) and they worked enough to get my blood pressure down to a safe level. I still have to take a cocktail of other meds for the underlying complaint (badly plumber kidney). For what my non-medical knowledge is worth, these drugs reduce BP by dilating the blood vessels.

If BBs have a depressing or incapacitating effect on you, ask your GP whether they might be appropriate for you.
I was put on beta blockers a few years ago and they had such a disruptive effect on the work that I was doing that I was no longer capable of doing it. Worse, I could no longer face doing it once I eventually got off them. I spoke to an old friend who is a GP and he said he would never put someone active on BBs unless there was no alternative. He recommended ''calcium channel antagonists'' (felodipine, in my case) and they worked enough to get my blood pressure down to a safe level. I still have to take a cocktail of other meds for the underlying complaint (badly plumber kidney). For what my non-medical knowledge is worth, these drugs reduce BP by dilating the blood vessels.

If BBs have a depressing or incapacitating effect on you, ask your GP whether they might be appropriate for you.
I got diagnosed with severe heart failure in 2013 which was two leaking valves, hole across the two top chambers (ASD) and A/F.they are not goint to do open heart as first planned but treat it with meds to reduce the size of the heart.
I am on a cocktail of meds including ramapril, digoxin and furosemide (water tablets). I get very breathless on mild exertion and have been told I may need to go onto Bisoprolol or the CCA.
What's the general feeling on the drugs with regards to side effects and riding.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I got diagnosed with severe heart failure in 2013 which was two leaking valves, hole across the two top chambers (ASD) and A/F.they are not goint to do open heart as first planned but treat it with meds to reduce the size of the heart.
I am on a cocktail of meds including ramapril, digoxin and furosemide (water tablets). I get very breathless on mild exertion and have been told I may need to go onto Bisoprolol or the CCA.
What's the general feeling on the drugs with regards to side effects and riding.
I'd think that your GP should be a good person to ask about your condition and exercise. And, if I remember the warning on my Ramipril leaflet correctly, there may be breathing implications. My own experience is that most meds have an effect on riding performance. The key seems to be riding for your own wellbeing and not pushing too hard to the detriment of your heart.

Top Bottom