Been road cycling exactly 1 year today !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
Thought I would post this in the beginners section as I still feel like a beginner with many more years ahead and much to learn. I just got an alert that I had been a member here for 1 year today and that reminded me it was the day I bought my first road bike which was also my first real bike since I was 15 (I was never a big fan of cycling as a teenager or young adult).

Here's my progress: Started out on basic pedals, now been going clipless after the first month so 11 months in total and no 'moments' so far.
Went from doing a 12 mile loop of my area in 50 minutes and coming home feeling like I had cycled a stage of the TDF to now doing 40 miles each session and did a 60 mile sportive at the weekend at 17.5 mph average. Weight loss has been 7lbs but that was never the goal as my base fitness has improved amazingly and I'm not really overweight.

Nothing spectacular but cycling has become a part of my life and I feel much better for it. Last thing that shows how far I've improved was my wife saying 'you're back so soon?' this was after I did a 30 mile route in an hour and a half. She now expects me to stay out for longer, maybe she's glad to get rid of me for a few hours lol.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
:bravo:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Hope to keep hearing from you of more miles and more time away from your missus :becool:.

Is she not interested in cycling?

My GF is always willing for me to get out, at least one day a weekend, for a ride. She's keen to cycle more herself, just not on her own, then let me go off, for what she calls, a proper ride. I do normally go at about 3 times her speed.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Don't worry Pete, it's the quality time with the wife that matters, quality not quantity ;)
She doesn't like cycling so I have to do it on my own which I prefer as she would likely be too slow and make it less enjoyable for me. I know I'm selfish but I treat a nice ride as some free time well earned and like to go at a pace I enjoy which is around 17-18mph avg.

I took her to halfords to get her a hybrid so that we could do some leisure cycling but she fell off on a practice ride around the store so that was the end of that :laugh:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Seems often to turn out that way, Irishrich. My wife swims at a rate that simply astounds me. Has no wish or skill to ride a bicycle, though. I swim like a brick.

Top Bottom