England : Kent Beer and Beach Huts Ride or Weekender July 9th/10th 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Just seen, already mentioned, there are many cycle paths through Ashford there is a nice one that follows the Stour heading south from asda which may be a better route to Kingsnorth
I've just looked at that East Stour path on Bikehike. It rocks!
I wish I'd known about it earlier - just over 3 miles of traffic free or shared use path, and no Church Hill to contend with.
Nice one.

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Does that just leave next weekend for the before the holidays option?
It does i think.

There is no reason why it cannot be done at anytime but it would be interesting to hear the local viewpoint from @Stephen Piper as to weather the roads will be a nightmare.

I am just glad it'd not today as it's rather warm but blowing a hooley from the SW which translates as a headwind and a half.

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

Has @hopless500 been making threats?
No she was very good.

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

Lets see what Steves advice is around traffic before during or after the holidays and i will come up with a date .

As i said before this is a good one for a wide variety of people to do either as a circular or not and Ashford provides a good transport hub link for numerous people.

A Summer Cinque Ports Ride is on the near horizon.

That's the badger!
Leave Ashford via Beaver lane, and Kingsnorth after that you're onto little lanes through Bilsington, Newchurch, St. Mary's, Littlestone road to take you to the seafront.
A good detour would be the sound mirrors at Denge.
http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/soundmirrors/locations/denge/
Unfortunately we've missed the only opportunity to do that this year (on July 3rd). They're not readily accessible the rest of the time.
Across Dungeness - the biggest shingle spit in Europe - and home to 600 specis of plant life - a third of all those found in Britain.
The over Jurys Gap - the Kent/East Sussex border, and on past Camber Sands to Rye.
I think I may have a GPS track of this route at home. Maybe. I deffo have maps.
Good for me!

15 miles is Dymchurch, where every other shop is a food outlet typical of what you will find in a 'bucket and spade' resort, trouble is I do not use them as it's where I live, cafe stops are usually miles away. Take away fish n chips on the sea wall would be my choice here. I could make an alternative route using quiet marsh roads to avoid the possible weekend coastal crowds. A mid week ride would find quieter roads.

OP
OP
Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp

I think a Saturday would be the favoured day due to work etc. So a tweek to the route could be a possibility.

I am due down in Rye on Friday so I will go via Dymchurch and see if I can identify a likely stop off.

I have dates of 6th or 20th August in mind so I will create a new thread and let's see what the interest level is like.

I think a Saturday would be the favoured day due to work etc. So a tweek to the route could be a possibility.

I am due down in Rye on Friday so I will go via Dymchurch and see if I can identify a likely stop off.

I have dates of 6th or 20th August in mind so I will create a new thread and let's see what the interest level is like.
I think 20/8 clashes with the Fridays run to Whitstable.

Top Bottom