1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beetroot

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Abitrary, 11 Jun 2008.

1. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

It seems to have disappeared and gone largely unsung for many years, but now looks to be creeping back in.

I'm not saying the beetroot industry is inherently devious, but I did find a beetroot section attached to a tub of coleslaw from sainsburys the other day, like a parasite.

2. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Hard to avoid it isn't it. Relentless TV product placement and advertising campaigns aimed directly at the most vulnerable. My kids never stop clamouring for beetroot salad and they are fussy about the variety too - plain old Moneta or Boltardy won't do, they want Chioggia because that's what Kevin next door always has.

3. I'm borscht stiff with all this :evil:

4. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

The beetroot is the work of the Devil and should be spurned at every opportunity.:evil:

5. Cheddar George

Cheddar George oober member

I am finding the same thing with Rhubarb, who decides when these things are
    fashionable again ?

6. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

It's Jamie Sainsbury Oliver isn't it?

7. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

In the winter mrs rich p does a tray of roasted root vegetables including beetroot. Ah, how I miss those cold days, warm fires and Sunday roasts.:evil:

8. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

My wife did some home made crisps the other day, fantastic!!

Potato, Beetroot, Parsnip and Carrot.

Highly recommended.

Also if you want to do a display of multi coloured poo you can get the purple ones out by simply eating a whole jar of pickled beetroot.

9. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

roast beetroot is ace! as is the pickled stuff! I'm trying to grow some in my garden, but the slugs are winning ;)

10. oo! Do you 'water' them with vinegar then Fnaar?

11. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

only if i'm pickled myself! ;)

12. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Good Ol Beetroot. I grows it every year in me garding. Can't beat some freshly grown/picked and boiled beetroot. And if I gets too much to gobble up that way I makes Borscht and freezes it - absolutely Yummy :smile: :smile: :smile: :biggrin:

13. Night Train

Night Train Guest

I love beetroot crisps as well as in salads.

14. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Beetroot Sandwiches :wacko::tongue::tongue:

15. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

I loathe the stuff but I'm still growing it because Baggy likes it. Greater love hath no man....

That poncy Italian stuff with white and red rings, natch. :wacko: