Beginner after some advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
How would I check for a crack in the frame?

See the bike in person. or ask the seller if you can view it beforehand.

A crack in the frame is repairable (material depending), but it's best avoiding.

OP
OP
S

scubarnsta

Thanks for your advice. I got myself a giant scr3 which i love (£150, Bargain). I did my first century yesterday, 107miles around kent in the rain. it took me 6.5 hours which i was happy about.
My butt is feeling bruised, so may have to rethink my saddle.
thanks again, im sure ill need your help agin soon.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
swee said:
30[/B] years is to deny the truth. Obviously there isn't exactly much in a fixed gear bike so the differences won't really be so obvious there. Compare a 30 year old geared steel-framed bike with a modern geared carbon fibre-framed bike, and they are.

I actually ride a fairly heavy 853 framed hardtail mountain bike offroad and usually a pretty heavy steel-framed Basso on the road so I'm not exactly going around on state-of-the-art technology myself but it doesn't mean that I can't see the advantages of brakes that work really well, very light bikes which are stiff, comfortable and responsive, a huge range of gears which are still closely-spaced, gear shifters which are immediately to hand, lightweight comfortable saddles, clipless pedals, clincher tyres which are almost as good as tubulars...

If you like old stuff, fair enough - I don't. I know people who have been happy to ride 1,200 km and 1,400 km audaxes on old steel-framed bikes. If I had the money, I'd always choose a nice titanium or carbon fibre-framed modern bike.

Yes, a good rider on an old bike would thrash me on any modern bike, but if they were riding a modern bike and I was on an old heavy one they would thrash me even harder!

Enough, already...

Top Bottom