Beginner attempting JOGLE - Which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
My brother-in-law did it a couple of years ago on a hybrid which he'd had since Adam took his Cycling Proficiency Badge. He took 2 weeks and said that the surprising thing was, once into the 3rd day and onwards, how do-able it was. His longest day was 90+ miles when a ferry in the Great Glen was not running and he detoured to a bridge.

OP
OP
Bungalow Bill

Bungalow Bill

We will be attempting to use roads where possible but theres always the chance of diverting onto tracks etc if required.

My current top choice is to get the Triban RC520 disc and to upgrade to a Brooks saddle and add some better tyres and a rack.
I'll be out on local roads and paths as much as possible over the next year building up endurance and from the reviews it seems that its decent value for what I need.
Feel free to tell me if Im barking up the wrong tree like!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
get the Triban RC520 disc and to upgrade to a Brooks saddle

I'd say you have got an idea in your head that you haven't actually tried out first. Why the thing about disc brakes and a Brooks saddle? Rim brakes work perfectly OK and Brooks saddles are not comfortable for everyone and tend to need a lot of riding to break in. You could buy one and find it is uncomfortable and a complete waste of money. On the other hand you may find a budget £10 MTB saddle is supremely comfortable straight out of the box. Brooks saddles are also prone to getting stolen from parked bikes, as they are readily saleable and worth money used.
To me, you are going about it totally arse about face. You haven't ridden a bike for many years, yet you are contemplating going out buying a brand new road bike which is probably not best suited to what you want to do with it immediately, and you are also taking a chance on shelling out a chunk of money on a saddle that may or may not suit your backside - which has not yet even been toughened up with some saddle time. You would be much better off starting out with something cheap and secondhand, and improving your general fitness and riding experience on that first as you will be more inclined to use it more often and use it in places you may not want to leave a shiny new bike unattended.

OP
OP
Bungalow Bill

Bungalow Bill

I
I'd say you have got an idea in your head that you haven't actually tried out first. Why the thing about disc brakes and a Brooks saddle? Rim brakes work perfectly OK and Brooks saddles are not comfortable for everyone and tend to need a lot of riding to break in. You could buy one and find it is uncomfortable and a complete waste of money. On the other hand you may find a budget £10 MTB saddle is supremely comfortable straight out of the box. Brooks saddles are also prone to getting stolen from parked bikes, as they are readily saleable and worth money used.
To me, you are going about it totally arse about face. You haven't ridden a bike for many years, yet you are contemplating going out buying a brand new road bike which is probably not best suited to what you want to do with it immediately, and you are also taking a chance on shelling out a chunk of money on a saddle that may or may not suit your backside - which has not yet even been toughened up with some saddle time. You would be much better off starting out with something cheap and secondhand, and improving your general fitness and riding experience on that first as you will be more inclined to use it more often and use it in places you may not want to leave a shiny new bike unattended.

I understand your arguments and thanks for the advice, but I'm going to buy a new bike. If I buy a cheap bike I know I wouldnt use it. I want to invest in something half decent that I can use over the next year and beyond, yes to get my fitness up but also to take my lad out on bike rides, maybe even join my local club etc. The saddle thing is something which I might upgrade once I'm fully into the swing of it, but I might not, the stock one might be fine for me.

I just want to know if the Triban is a half decent choice for what I'll need it for. Something fairly durable with a decent value spec, that I can potentially fit wider tyres, racks and mud guards to, and a relaxed geometry which wont kill me on longer rides

The Tribans have a good reputation, in a similar price bracket is the Planet X London Road, I'd say slightly better componentry, including full hydraulics. In the same vein check the Pinnacle Arkose as well if that's the style you've decided on.

I still think you'd benefit from some on bike experience first.

Brooks saddles are like Marmite, I hated mine and nearly flung it into a loch. Off mentioned as a cheap try is the Charge Spoon, doesn't suit everyone but at 25 quid and easy resale it's worth a go.

OP
OP
Bungalow Bill

Bungalow Bill

I like the thought of the Triban because I can go into the store and size it up, which I cant do with the Planet X. I also like what I've read about the Arkose but they've been out of stock whenever I've visited Evans, plus the Mike Ashley factor gives me pause for thought

the snail

Guru
The Triban looks like a good choice to me, versatile for road and light off-road riding, hopefully comfortable on longer rides, and good value for money. I like the brooks B17, find it comfortable all day. You may need some time to break it in, and it may not suit you, but you should be able to sell it on easily if you don't get on with it. At the end of the day, if you're getting back into cycling, you might find that the triban isn't what you want after you've ridden for a while, but the only way to find out is to try it and see.

I like the thought of the Triban because I can go into the store and size it up, which I cant do with the Planet X. I also like what I've read about the Arkose but they've been out of stock whenever I've visited Evans, plus the Mike Ashley factor gives me pause for thought
If you try the Triban and you're not quite sure you at least have an idea what size will suit you. Evans will get your size in for a £50 deposit you get back and Ashley has only just taken it over. My advice is try as many as possible and try different bikes, what you find may surprise you.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
10 consecutive 100 mile days (in reality some will need to be over 125) is a hell of a challenge, especially if you are carrying your luggage. I would not be booking too much until you have a few back to back longish rides. A Triban is very good value for money, just make sure it fits before you buy it.

Nebulous

Guru
You'll get all sorts of bike buying advice, but sometimes you just need to go for it.

I slowly got heavier and heavier until my late 40s and decided to do something about it. I lost weight slowly, began cycling on my front suspension Halfords mountain bike, joined cycling forums and decided I wanted a road bike.

More specifically I wanted a 2010 allez elite in red. A fairly silly buy, with an aggressive race oriented geometry, for an overweight older guy. It was £900 new, but I found a 6 months old one, which was still the current model on eBay for £540.

I bought it, built my miles up slowly, but ended up doing about 12000 miles on it before it fell apart.

I never once regretted it, in fact my more expensive bikes nowadays simply don't bring the same sense of satisfaction that one did.

jay clock

Massive member
10 consecutive 100 mile days (in reality some will need to be over 125) is a hell of a challenge, especially if you are carrying your luggage. I would not be booking too much until you have a few back to back longish rides. A Triban is very good value for money, just make sure it fits before you buy it.
+1....I am an experienced cycle tourist (fully laden across Europe and USA) and several Ironmans etc. My attempt (yes, attempt) at LEJOG was up there as a super tough ride. UK weather is a big issue. OK, I was on a heavy bike with full camping kit, but even a road bike with minimal kit is going to be hard at 10x100 miles.

Get out, do lots of riding, starting small and building up. Certainly get to do a couple of centuries, and probably a 200 mile weekend. Just get to the point where you can do 80-100 miles in comfort on whatever you have and be able to get off and continue your normal life without need a lie-down.

All the best!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Almost any affordable road bike with an alloy frame and carbon forks will suit you as it will be set up for commuting and leisure riding rather than sports riding. A very good, very comfortable bike is the Bianchi Via Nirone C2C, which is comfortable, predictable in handling and designed exactly for what you have in mind.

Great advice from everyone. Thanks all

The 520 is a good (value) bike and as long as you're happy with the price, road / gravel / ...

Obviously the most important thing is to get out there and ride it, but dont forget to budget for:
* pedals / shoes
* lock
* helmet (but I didn't say that)
* waterproofs
* clothing (tops, trousers, gloves, ..)
* bags (are you camping or b&bing?)
* tools
* route finder?

Last edited:
Top Bottom