Beginner Buying a Second Hand Bike - Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DAX10

Regular
Hi there,

I'm a beginner cyclist looking to buy a new road bike, something I'll use for a daily commute as well as cycling to Amsterdam in April (200 mile trip).

My budget is around £250, and I could probably stretch to £300.

I've been looking on Gumtree to get a more value for money and have found this offered for £250:

Men's Giant Defy 2012 Aluxx ML Road bike

Would it be worth it? One catch, I'm 6 ft and it is a 54cm frame.

Thanks.

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 50

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
A tad small I reckon. Only one way to find out.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm 6 foot and I ride a Giant M/L. Don't take much notice of the cm sizing on Giants, they have a compact geometry that skews things quite a bit... just go and try one.

250 pounds is expensive for one so old mind you, you can get last year's model, brand new, for 600. Beyond the budget I know, but I just wanted to highlight what a reasonable price might be. You could find a 2 year old model for less than 300.
IF (and it's a big if) this one is hardly used and nothing needs replacing, you might pay up to 200 for it. But if the chainset is worn, wheels worn, etc etc, revise down accordingly. Parts like this are expensive.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@DAX10 i would think the Giant would either be just a bit on the small side or spot on if local go and try it and see what you think

where are you based ?

there will be cc'ers who might be local to you and they might be able to offer some local help

but loads of lightly used bargains on Gumtree so keep looking

OP
OP
D

DAX10

Regular
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm currently based in Portsmouth and willing to travel in the South East.

There is also this one for £275?

If not would the above one be recommended for £299?

Attachments

• 16252212_10154233860187876_3971909704769100889_o.jpg
    16252212_10154233860187876_3971909704769100889_o.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 44
Hi there,

I'm a beginner cyclist looking to buy a new road bike, something I'll use for a daily commute as well as cycling to Amsterdam in April (200 mile trip).

My budget is around £250, and I could probably stretch to £300.

I've been looking on Gumtree to get a more value for money and have found this offered for £250:

Men's Giant Defy 2012 Aluxx ML Road bike

Would it be worth it? One catch, I'm 6 ft and it is a 54cm frame.

Thanks.

That looks like the 2013 model of that Giant. the Defy 3.

I had the ML and am 5 ft 11 and had it fitted a shade shorter to suit me, so based on that I would say it *would* probably be the right size.

I'd rather have it than a Triban.

Bb

And it retailed at £670 that model so 250 is okay if in good condition.

OP
OP
D

DAX10

Regular
Thanks guys. I am so torn right now between the options available.

What's your opinion on the Triban 520 for £275?

broady

Veteran
The M/L Defy is 56cm
I sold my Defy 2 (2013) for £200

That triban has the old sora on doesn't it? I'd want a lot more than that for £275 (unless it is immaculate with virtually no wear). I'd go for the Defy over the Triban though, just want it a lot cheaper.

It's a real buyers market at the minute with so many deals on 2016 models.

OP
OP
D

DAX10

Regular
Hmm I see.

Do you think it's probably best to wait then? I think spending £350 may be stretching my budget a little.

Yeah I've already got the Defy down from £320 to £250, but he won't budge much lower unfortunately. Same with the Triban at £275. He has said on the advert he's ridden it no more than 20 times (of course he could easily be lying) and it's now in storage as he's out of the country. It doesn't look worn at all from other pictures he's posted.

broady

Veteran
If either has the original receipt showing the frame number then that might sway me more.
Go for a bit of a test ride if local to them?

Top Bottom