Beginner Buying a Second Hand Bike - Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
£250 sounds fine for the Defy. You could maybe get a cheaper one in a few months or could be more expensive as closer to summer... but then you've missed cycling time training for your big ride which is soon

IMO tribans just look dull styling wise

Make sure you get a copy of the receipt whichever you choose

broady

Veteran
I don't have a receipt for 2 of my bikes.
1 is from a member on here who had it from new and the other is a guy that was in one of the local cycling clubs who only had the till receipt and that remains with him. I'm happy that they are both legit and not stolen.
Not having a receipt isn't a deal breaker for me

I don't have a receipt for 2 of my bikes.
1 is from a member on here who had it from new and the other is a guy that was in one of the local cycling clubs who only had the till receipt and that remains with him. I'm happy that they are both legit and not stolen.
Not having a receipt isn't a deal breaker for me

Fair do's, but I got to ask,

1, by what impregnable logic is the fact that the seller is on here mean it's legit?

2, why couldn't the seller give you either the till receipt or a photostatic copy thereof?

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I prefer to have a copy at least for when I sell the bikes on. Each to their own. If you trusted the two sellers fair do, the second one presumably you could have seen the receipt. I don't think I did for the SS I bought on here. The two bikes I've bought on eBay I wanted the receipt, I didn't know the sellers. When I've sold bikes myself on eBay, I've provided the receipt as that's what I would expect

broady

Veteran
I met the seller @jessand and if I can't trust him then there is more wrong with the world than I ever thought. It never even entered my head to ask him for proof of ownership.
The other one I did have a picture of the receipt on my phone that I took, but the phone broke losing all my pictures.

I like to think I can trust people and not a bad judge of character

OP
OP
D

DAX10

Regular
I will try my best to get a copy of the receipt, obviously more likely with the newer bike. The ad was also on Facebook as well so I've had a look at the sellers profile, and it looks like he regularly rides and does so abroad too, so I doubt that is stolen.

I think I'll give it a few more days, maybe go and see the Defy and see if it rides well. They're localish (2-3 round trip) which isn't too bad considering

OP
OP
D

DAX10

Regular
£250 sounds fine for the Defy. You could maybe get a cheaper one in a few months or could be more expensive as closer to summer... but then you've missed cycling time training for your big ride which is soon

IMO tribans just look dull styling wise

Make sure you get a copy of the receipt whichever you choose

Picked up a Felt F85 2014 Edition for £250. In great (almost new condition), so I'm really happy with that and going to start racking up the miles tomorrow morning!

Thanks for the help and input everyone, it has been greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
D

DAX10

Regular
I've had a few training sessions, slowly easing myself into 18 and 25 mile rides. I've felt great afterwards, so I feel I can definitely push myself even further. Hoping to do a 40 mile cycle over the next few days.

I've created a Just Giving's page for my fundraising which I hope to gain from Amsterdam if you could please check it out.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Daniel-Axten

Top Bottom