Beginner fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KyleSorley

Hi there. First post on the forum so take it easy. I am 24 and living on the south side of Glasgow and looking to get into cycling mainly to commute to uni and get fit. My uncle is right into his bikes and has a carbon trek and some cannodale? After speaking with him about it we got onto the subject of fixed wheel bikes. I think they sound amazing and love the idea of being in touch with the road and the simple looks. My question is where is best to purchase one and any advise would be greatly appreciated. Being a student I have a budget of about £200 max! I would rather get a better second had bike for the price than get a new one that will put me off. That is unless there are good light ones to be had for that price. I was looking on eBay and saw this,

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121356294692

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Lfgss.co.uk

Is the best uk site for fixie advice by far. There's usually a local facebook group as well which usually has local bargains.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I guess any 2nd hand bike with horizontal dropouts at the back is suitable.
:welcome:You're looking at a fixie to commute and don't cycle regularly :crazy: get one with a flip-flop with the same size SS cog

Well if I was getting a flip-flop, I'd be inclined to get a lower gear on the freewheel side, 'cause then you can get up steeper hills but not have to pedal like buggery down the other side. Advice based purely on theory, as mine's fixie only

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I guess any 2nd hand bike with horizontal dropouts at the back is suitable.

Well if I was getting a flip-flop, I'd be inclined to get a lower gear on the freewheel side, 'cause then you can get up steeper hills but not have to pedal like buggery down the other side. Advice based purely on theory, as mine's fixie only
I was thinking more about cornering.:eek:

OP
OP
K

KyleSorley

Sorry for being a complete noob but not really sure what you are talking about with flip flop? Because of the constant pedalling on a fixie the pedal will be down in a corner, is there any particular technique to avoid the pedal hitting the ground or is it a matter of practice? Also does £200 seem an ok budget to get something decent?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A flip flop is a fixed gear on one side and a single freewheel gear on the other if they have the same number of teeth they can be changed directly by removing the back wheel and turning it round then refitting it without removing links from the chain, in a minute or so. You should then theoretically run a front and back brake whereas on a fixie only a front brake is required by law.:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unless you live in a very flat area, I wouldn't get a fixed gear or ss.

You will suffer :biggrin:

Nope !! They climb rather well, even with heavy panniers. I can do 10% hills in the same time on fixed with panniers, than I do on my road bikes. They are not as bad as folk say. Yes it takes a couple of weeks to get used to them, but it really benefits your muscles and tendon strength as well as improving cadence !

fossyant

Sorry for being a complete noob but not really sure what you are talking about with flip flop? Because of the constant pedalling on a fixie the pedal will be down in a corner, is there any particular technique to avoid the pedal hitting the ground or is it a matter of practice? Also does £200 seem an ok budget to get something decent?

Never had pedal strike on a corner - once used to it, you can corner really hard (if you have the tyres). I just tend to be slightly more upright than on the geared bikes.

fossyant

£200 is not a lot of money for any bike. It can be done if you can find an old frame, but there are compromises. My first advice is get at least one if not two brakes.

OK brakes aren't trendy, but I'd challenge any of the Manchester Fixie crowd to stop as fast as I can on two brakes and leg braking. I use it loads, unfortunately - I ride at a good pace, folk pull out, I hit the brakes hard. I wear out rims in 18 months on my commute.

Best bet, if you can find a 531 frame for next to now't via friends or family. Hit ebay and they are silly money !

My 'fixed road bike' was way over £1k, 5 years ago. It's my daily work horse and has been upgraded. It's not 'trendy' - has panniers and lights and stuff. I've been told it's the 'most expensive looking bike' in the work cycle parking recently by colleagues. Bit worrying really.

Hi,Kyle,i am not too clued up on fixies mate , ive only done three rides on mine , this week, as i promised myself that once i achieved an average of 17mph around where i live , which is not flat,then id get a fixie.
I came from years and years of mountain bike riding only on July 14th last year onto a road bike and its taken me a year to get up to 17mph average on my geared racer and then i got the fixie , first ride 15.2 average., second 16.6, third 17.2 !!
I am falling in love with fixed gear cycling as its man versus hill., you either get up it or you dont. To date ive never been beaten by any hill on any bike., it will happen one day., but not today., lol.!
I just bought a viking citifix as i dont know whats a good one or whats not., it weighs about as much as my jeep and scares the crap out of me as much going down hills. But for this month i will be riding fixed all the time. I absolutely love it , can't praise them enough!
cheers
liam

Last edited:
Top Bottom