Beginner friendly club in Brighton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cambie

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a beginner friendly road club in Brighton?

I'm interested in road rides 10+ miles and building distance with time.

Any guidance much appreciated.
Cheers.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TMN may be more help. I just ride with friends - those that I have left at least!

OP
OP
Cambie

Cambie

Update.
I emailed Brighton Mitre and explained my lack of experience and I recieved a very warm reply inviting me to one of their monthly "Come and try it" rides. I will definitely take them up on this offer either this or next month

OP
OP
Cambie

Cambie

Didn't make last month's Tryi it Ride due to illness. Going this Saturday. I'll report back my experience.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a beginner friendly road club in Brighton?

I'm interested in road rides 10+ miles and building distance with time.

Any guidance much appreciated.
Cheers.
I'm not from the Brighton area so can't help, however, having been a member of numerous cycling clubs over the last 25 years, I can say that 'beginner friendly' clubs are quite rare! Good luck. People will usually start talking to you after about 12 months.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm not from the Brighton area so can't help, however, having been a member of numerous cycling clubs over the last 25 years, I can say that 'beginner friendly' clubs are quite rare! Good luck. People will usually start talking to you after about 12 months.

Having been a member of clubs for a lot longer than that my experience is the opposite. Most cycling clubs have members of all abilities, we have plenty who would struggle to do 10 miles at 5mph, but they are very friendly people.

Mind you we have had a few people join who did not try to fit in and maybe should not have joined any club.

OP
OP
Cambie

Cambie

Well I had a great time with Brighton Mitre on a try it ride. Very welcoming and lots of encouragement. Highly recommended.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not enough detail Cambie! How far? How fast? How many people in the group? All blokes or some women?

How can he know? There were 30 other club rides that day by members of the club's. Mind you having written all that and re-read your question he will be able to answer it.

OP
OP
Cambie

Cambie

Not enough detail Cambie! How far? How fast? How many people in the group? All blokes or some women?

Haha. Ok, so the CATI (Come And Try it) is approx 30 miles. There was myself and a lady. There were 5 club members. Average was 14mph.

There was a split in the group and I was with 3 lads that got geographically challenged. We never met up with the others and so went on our own route of 39 miles. It was run at my pace and the distance decision was all left to me.

OP
OP
Cambie

Cambie

Update.
I have been on a couple of these beginner rides now. They have had varying numbers from 3(plus leaders) to 13(plus leaders) and have all been great fun, well lead and completely welcoming.

If you are considering joining a club for the first time I urge you to find one that offers a Try It ride and have a go.
Happy riding.

Top Bottom