Beginner indoor training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirty Camino

Regular
Well I had a plan at the beginning of the year to get out and ride more, which has not happened, so I've resorted to having to train indoors to fit around work and family commitments.

I don't have the funds for a wattbike or Pelton etc but think I will give zwift a try!

So ony limited budget I've spent the following but wondering if there's anything else required? I've already got a laptop a HRM and an old yoga mat...

Carrera 7005 T6 road bike £50 off FB marketplace (needs new cables which I have already and a bit of a service which I can do myself), it appears to be in excellent condition so figured it will do for indoors.
Saris Fluid 2 turbo trainer £74.32 new from Amazon
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Turbo Tyre £25
Garmin Speed Sensor £34.48
Garmin Cadence Sensor £29.34
Garmin Ant+ USB £15 used of FB marketplace
Amazon Active USB cable £14.74

Total £242.88

I could have saved £4 buying sensors together and bought a cheaper passive cable, but figured an active cable will provide a better signal and reduce signal dropouts.
It's more than I wanted to spend but think it should work.

I plan to attach the USB via the cable extension to the frame with zip ties as no plans to move anything once its set up.

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations on set up welcome. Just got to service the bike before I get riding!

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Well I had a plan at the beginning of the year to get out and ride more, which has not happened, so I've resorted to having to train indoors to fit around work and family commitments.

I don't have the funds for a wattbike or Pelton etc but think I will give zwift a try!

So ony limited budget I've spent the following but wondering if there's anything else required? I've already got a laptop a HRM and an old yoga mat...

Carrera 7005 T6 road bike £50 off FB marketplace (needs new cables which I have already and a bit of a service which I can do myself), it appears to be in excellent condition so figured it will do for indoors.

Total £242.88

I could have saved £4 buying sensors together and bought a cheaper passive cable, but figured an active cable will provide a better signal and reduce signal dropouts.

I plan to attach the USB via the cable extension to the frame with zip ties as no plans to move anything once its set up.

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations on set up welcome. Just got to service the bike before I get riding!
Looks like you're all sorted. Starting with a budget setup to see if you enjoy it is a sensible thing - and applies to both outdoor and indoor riding.

You will get a lot more answers if you post in the main Zwift thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/zwift-bkool-splitter-chat.215190/

Alex321

Veteran

Total £242.88

Most of the apps to use with the smart trainer are moderately expensive, but there a couple which are free, or have a (limited) free functionality.

MyWhoosh is completely free, sponsored by UAE. Used to be only Arabian desert routes, but now also has virtual routes in Columbia and Australia.

WahooRGT has a free option, but that has very limited routes.

Things like Zwift or Rouvy, or the full Wahoo System X all cost £12-£15 per month

I am a newbie to Zwift but have used it a lot in the last 2 months and to get real use of Zwift I think you need a Smart trainer, I tried with a older dumb trainer and you are missing all the nice stuff Zwift does ie control your turbo and having a turbo with in-built watt meter . I bought a Zwift hub ( 450 quid) . I think with your basic trainer you will get bored fairly quickly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Make a plan to get outside. Turbo training is a useful addition, but it will ruin any real experience of cycling. Even with Zwift etc, it's tedious. It has it's place, but getting out is what it's all about !

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use a basic set up too, I have a wiggle lifeline fluid trainer which was £40 at X mas and basic speed cadence sensor from Amazon .
Although obviously I don't get the full experience with resistance changes a smart turbo gives I still find plenty to do.
One week I did 220 miles on it

I had a dumb trainer for oooh years and years. It was fine but the Zwift hub is so much nicer to ride and it's more involving.

If you can stretch to that it is a wheel off turbo so saves on tyres and sensors etc.

Top Bottom