Beginner looking for a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Morph

Hi, I've just signed up and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I want to take up road cycling but I have no idea what bike to choose from. My price range is around £300 - £400, but I may extend that if needed. I've searched around the internet a bit and came across two suggestions, the "limited edition Carrera TDF" and the "Carerra Virtuoso". Now I don't know whether or not these bikes are the best for their price/performance, so this is why I'd appreciate your input. Perhaps there are better road bikes on offer within my price range? I would like to hear your opinions, thank you.

KevinG

Hi, and welcome - I have a Virtuoso and its a great bike for the money, thought expect to change things like the stock pedals pretty much straight away.

Not sure about the TdF version, it may have inferior components to the Virtuoso - best to do a comparison.

Someone else will probably come along and say look secondhand, which may offer you a bike with better components for that kind of money.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
As a beginner the gear ratios are important, if you struggle uphills or have to walk you wont enjoy cycling much. Having said that your leg strength will improve rapidly if you keep it up.

Dawes is a respected make and do a series of road bikes at different price levels called Giro. Google on Evans or Tredz to look at whats avail;able in your price range.Before parting with cash post a link here and see what response it gets from experienced cyclists.

shippers

You could have a look at the Revolution Continental-
http://www.edinburgh...=c003155c018341

Depends how much of a rush you're in to get the bike- might be worth hanging round for the 2011 models and see if you can get a 2010 bargain. New models will start coming through in the next few weeks.

Hmmm, replying to myself..?

anyway, here's a cracking bargain-

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/newest-30-2009-road-bike-ec018090

£399 reduced from £525. Carbon forks, reasonable spec bits and bobs. Only have it in XL though.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Personally I'd get an old Peugeot/Raleigh for £50,see if you like Road Bikes and then plump for something in the £750 -£1000 bracket.

delstron

Personally I'd get an old Peugeot/Raleigh for £50,see if you like Road Bikes and then plump for something in the £750 -£1000 bracket.

I'd second this comment. I dived in and bought a new bike without really knowing what I needed. A few months/weeks on a secondhand bike would have seen me making a wiser choice.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I'd go along with pete's advice regarding getting a second hand bike although if you don't want to go to the £750 - 1000 mark you could blow your £300/400 on getting a very nice second hand bike. A new one for that money won't be brilliant.
What ever you get though, if you're unsure about what what you're buying - try it before you buy it.

Welcome to the forum BTW.
rolleyes.gif

DavieB

MIA
Ive been using a Virtuoso for around 3 weeks and I really like it (apart from the Yellow) Bought a set of Look Keo pedals and a pair of Specialized armadillos, much smoother ride on the new tyres and the clipless pedals definitely add a bit of power, imho. I got it off my dad and its made me realise I prefer riding a road bike to my old Specialized Hardrock Pro. Cant fault the bike.

Im looking to buy a Specialized Allez Elite in September now I know how much I like road bikes. Convinced the mrs to let me spend 800 ish on the new bike
blink.gif
. Have to admit im swither between the Spech and a defy 2 though.
Laie_76A.gif
:bicycle:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi, I've just signed up and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I want to take up road cycling but I have no idea what bike to choose from. My price range is around £300 - £400, but I may extend that if needed. I've searched around the internet a bit and came across two suggestions, the "limited edition Carrera TDF" and the "Carerra Virtuoso". Now I don't know whether or not these bikes are the best for their price/performance, so this is why I'd appreciate your input. Perhaps there are better road bikes on offer within my price range? I would like to hear your opinions, thank you.

Whatever bike you buy make sure you get the right size. My experience is that cycle shop staff dont allways get it right. Either measure yourself and use some online sizing guides (google on bike sizing) or put your measurements on a post here and listen to advice of experienced people.As a beginner I was lucky to get the right size more by good luck than anything else.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Whatever bike you buy make sure you get the right size. My experience is that cycle shop staff dont allways get it right. Either measure yourself and use some online sizing guides (google on bike sizing) or put your measurements on a post here and listen to advice of experienced people.As a beginner I was lucky to get the right size more by good luck than anything else.

I have the virtuosso and for the price its a craking bike as banjo said work out what size you need before you buy as both are "compact" frames meaning the top tube slopes i think the bike i have is a medium, 48 cm true seat height but 54 cm virtual meaning that if the top tube were level it would be a 54 cm frame.Reach is just as important but that can be tweaked with longer /shorter stems if the bike is a close enough fit (i use a 1 cm shorter than stock stem as i have a short torso compared to leg length)

I have the Carrera TDF and find it fine but I am a novice to cycling. I had the gears setup by the local bike shop and it all works fine now. But I cant help but long for one of the more flasher bikes because I assume for example a nice £600-700 bike would make the ride even more enjoyable I am guessing

zacklaws

Guru
I'd second this comment. I dived in and bought a new bike without really knowing what I needed. A few months/weeks on a secondhand bike would have seen me making a wiser choice.

This is wise advise, I studied hard and long, for what I thought that I wanted to replace my existing road bike, in the end, I ended up with a bike with too high gearing to tackle the steepest hills in my area which were never a problem on my old bike, just because I was focused on speed and forgot about the hills.

In reality though, as I did not spend much on it, approx £500, it was a good move, as I then saved up for what I did want in reality to be able to tackle everything, and then my other road bike became my bad weather, backup bike, as I feel that it always pay to have two. So buy a mid price one, find out you like road bikes, and then save up to get your pride and joy which will become your work horse.

johnnyh

Veteran
I have a Virtuoso and have covered loads of miles on it over the last 2.years, including a few 100 plus milers in all conditions. It has never skipped a beat and remains a decent ride when called upon - currently every day for a commute.
I would certainly buy it again, although a few key points...
1 - first job is to replace the horrible pedals
2 - personal preference, but double wrap the bar tape as it is a bit thin and uncomfy over distance
3 - apply some grease to the wheel cones and bearings as they are pretty dry (can always get a local bike shop to do this if you don't have tools)
4- set the bike up well and enjoy!

Top value bike once set up and sorted, I have more glamourous steeds but it never let's me down.

Top Bottom