Beginners ss bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garethad

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience of Graphic Bikes? Am looking at getting a ss bike and they looked about the right price but I couldn't find any reviews that weren't on their own site.

Cheers, Gareth

andyfraser

Über Member
I hadn't heard of Graphic Bikes until just now so can't comment on them. I ride a Mango fixie. They're not quite as cheap (£299 for the black series) but I would recommend them. There's a guy I see most evenings now who rides his Mango on the reverse commute to mine and he seems happy with his too.

OP
OP
G

garethad

Cool, thanks for that. Out of interest, what kind of terrain can you ride your bike on? Around here the cycle tracks are sometimes a bit rough and I wasn't sure if the tyres would take it? Is there enough clearance to put bigger nobbly tyres on? I've asked Graphic BIkes the same thing but I've not heard anything back...

andyfraser

Über Member
I think the wheels will only take up to 28mm road tyres. I have 25mm Gatorskins fitted and can go along all the rough paths and some of the smoother off road tracks if I don't go too fast.

If you are thinking of dipping your toe into SS riding I would seriously consider buying second hand rather than used.

For any given budget you will be able to pick up a better quality bike and, if you don't get on with this type of riding, you should be able to sell it on again without ending up out of pocket too much. Of course, a bit more mechanical knowledge and the ability (or help from more experienced riders) to spot good/bad bikes might be useful.

On that note, I would also suggest the Genesis range. Their "Flyer" models are around £600 new, but I have seen them listed at less than half that on eBay and in local, private adverts. They also fit your request for wider tyres - they come with 28mm rubber fitted and could go a fraction wider (32mm possibly) if you ditch mudguards. At this width there are a variety of nobbly options available. Of course, if you need a model that is a bit more robust in the frame, their Day One models might fit, and I have even seen a few of their Croix models converted for SS on the second hand market.

Hope this helps,

J

Top Bottom