Being checked for ID

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

Never had any probs with Scottish/NI notes in the northern half of the UK.

barman in Milton Keynes refused to take a RBS £20 so I got a couple of 10s from a mate and gave him one. When he came back with that and said he couldnt accept it either I had already downed my pint.

Needless to say I found another pub who was more than happy to take our money.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Mad Doug Biker said:
Scottish notes in England are bad enough as it is!

I can't quite understand why these places do not get a booklet supplied to them with pictures of all of the different notes they can accept on them so that people actually KNOW what they look like!!

That'd be too sensible though I suppose.

Having worked in a fair few shops in my time in Southern England, they do receive a little booklet and many a poster. The problem is that, especially with Saturday staff, they may see one purchase with Scottish notes in six months and with the sheer variety of Scottish banknotes (Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank) not to mention Northern Ireland and Channel Islands notes even with the little booklet telling a good forgery isn't THAT easy.

And believe me, many a forgery will use this fact to their advantage. It becomes less time consuming, safer and easier to get staff to request customers change their notes at a nearby bank where they will recognise the notes and be trained to spot forgeries.

Scottish banknotes are much like credit cards in England, in that they are not "legal tender" as many people assume and do not HAVE to be accepted to pay a debt. The same is true of English notes in Scotland (and, as it happens, Scottish notes in Scotland too). They ARE legal currency, and so hold a value and so can be accepted for a purchase but they don't have to be.

Bear in mind that even in deepest darkest Hampshire even Bank of England notes can be turned down when buying your weekly Pint, as legal tender only has sway against debts, not purchases. And this isn't a one way street either - I've had English banknotes turned away in Scotland too for no more than a reason than "it was made by an English b'stard".

As you can tell this is something which annoys me slightly.

Svendo

Guru
Legal Tender actually only applies to settling a debt, not the 'treat' or payment in a contract, but unless it's changed when I was at school we were taught (God knows why) that a shop, or bus driver, is only obliged to accept the correct change when offered as payment and only up to 21p in coppers, and other amounts in silver and other coins. I'm fairly confident the correct change bit is right but the rest may be drivel/changed. I don't know if Scottish notes are included in correct change bit in England or not. Can't google it now cos I've sneaked on the net at work!

Ah so you have to scull your pint really quickly, then you are in debt, then the barman has to accept the notes .. is that correct ?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Having met 'young' Kaipaith I can confirm he wears his 28 years very well indeed.

On the other hand, I've looked about 40 since I was born. Now I'm 41 I'm hoping to get the benefit, but I doubt it.:wacko:

ChrisKH

Guru
Last got checked when I was 12, in a pub on Mersea island full of (motor) bikers. And I got served. It was so obvious we were under age.

Then when I was 13 on buying a fist load of fireworks. The age limit was 14 at the time.

battered

Guru
There are rules about how much you can pay in coppers. People can and do refuse payment in coppers on occasion, it's up to them to decide whether they want to accept your copper jar in payment for a paper.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
People can refuse any payment for anything. They don't have to sell.

Don't think I've ever been asked for ID. I don't think these 'no ID, no service' stories prove that the law's an ass so much as that there's plenty of half-wit little-hitlers out there who have just a teeny bit of authority and like to wave it around. Tossers.

Rebel Ian

swee said:
In some cases that might be true but I think some outlets are so scared of any prosecution that their staff are told to ask in every case, even when it's blindingly obvious.

Young Un

Despite my best attempts at growing a beard, and it is working y'know - girls think I am at uni when I'm only 15. Shops have none of it though, and that is why a mate gave me a fake ID. Yet to try it out though :smile:

Kaipaith said:
Bought a couple of bottles of Jacobs Creek from Co-op today, and was asked for ID. I really don't mind (I'd rather them ask than be unsure and still sell), but I'm a married man of 28 fer cryin' out loud!

Can anyone beat that? When was the last time you were asked for ID, and how old were you?

I was asked about two months ago in Asda. Age 31. I had a proper beard at the time too. I didn't believe she she was serious until she'd asked me about five times. I got questions I haven't been asked for over ten years, date of birth etc and she even asked me why I didn't carry ID with me. My answer that I haven't been asked for ID for OVER 10 YEARS swung it for me. If she'd refused I'd have asked for a second opinion. It wasn't even for me. It was for my wife.

Plax

Guru
I got ID'ed by an old fella in Spar once when my dad asked me to get him some Rizzla's. I was about 29 at the time. I thought that was hilarious.

Ste T. said:
I was 17 too, you smug bunch of self congradulating bastards.

It used to pee me off when I still being called "kid" by people when I was in my twenties. Wouldn't be bothered now but it desn't happen. Then again the age range people guess for me has been very under or very over my age, usually dependant on beard and haircut. Clean shaven all over younger, big beard and going very grey lego man hair older.

swee said:
When my wife was (quite obviously) pregnant with our third child she was refused alcohol at around 11am as she was too drunk to be served. She even had two kids in tow. She hadn't spoken to thecheckout worker and had only been talking to he children. This was interpreted as being too drunk to buy alcohol :eek:. A quick telephone complaint resulted in thrity quid in vouchers from the supermarket in question. She was trying to buy alcohol as it was my birthday.

Top Bottom