Being Furloughed and keeping myself occupied

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Furlough is hopefully coming to an end on the 30th of June and the last few weeks have been really tough keeping my mind occupied. Living by my self with no one to talk to or care for really makes a day drag.. Never having been off work before, (apart from normal holiday time) this long period of being inactive is something I'm not accustomed too.
The first few weeks where great in the sense of novelty. It was a great time to catch up with all those jobs ive been putting off. Painting the shed, getting the cars niggles sorted and of course plenty of cycling. Even helping out people who where unable to get out for supplies took up a large part of the day.
As the weeks have rolled on and restrictions have eased, my furloughed status has still remained and it's been frustrating to see others get back to work whilst I'm sitting around feeling absolutely useless. I even feel somewhat embarrassed to think that I'm being paid by the government to do sod all whilst others are working and paying there way.
The jobs at home have now been reduced to the insignificant tasks in helping passing the time away.. I machined polished the poor excuse of a car i own the other day just to while away a few hours and have discovered tv series that i wouldn't of watched in a million years.. Sleep patterns have suffered badly too. It's been really hard getting off to sleep at night after enduring long boring days by your self.
I think I've hit rock bottom though this week as I've taken up a new past time that is completely useless but Strangely satisfying..
I bought two rolls of kitchen foil (about 100 metres in total) and scrunched them up into a giant ball. With a rounded head hammer I've spent hours beating the foil down turning the foil ball, into a work of art. It's now as smooth as a snooker ball and have found it very satisfying to do. A totally pointless exercise but very additive none the less. I keep going back to it perfecting anything i can see.(mr ocd)
Looking on you tube it's quite a craze in places like Japan.
So yes, lock down has finally sent me around the twist and i can't wait to get get back to work again and moan about being tired, and stressed again. It's like a love hate relationship. I never thought i would say this, but i really miss the banter of work mates and meeting new people in my daily routine at work. I'm even missing the commute which has supprised me.
Cycling has been a god send though over the weeks as its broken up the days, and helped in seeing life around me go by and getting rid of that pent up energy. Today routine is to go out and get some food shopping in and a bike ride later and of course perfect my aluminium ball. Aghhhh life doesn't get anymore exciting at the moment 😭

AndyRM

XOXO
This thread is useless without pics.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
15930783652134092393437495448402.jpg

There you go. How exciting is that 🤔👍

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Looking on YouTube there's quite a few uploads on doing these. As @ColinJ said it's an odd thing to do, but its Strangely satisfying and costs pennys to do. The one's on YouTube are much better than mine and are mirror finished but I've still got a lot more work to do on mine yet. It's just a time consuming thing to do working the aluminium foil into the small voids and flattening all the small ridges. The hammering process has to get lighter, and slowly but surely you start to see a mirrored finish.. It's completely pointless harmless fun though that i can't put down (a bit like the the rubic cube that's bained my life for many years without success)

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
The only issue is that a small part of it where foil finishes, there's a step that's difficult to dress out. I think ive solved it now by cutting a thin groove out and dressed the lip into it🤔Year's ago i was quite a "dab hand" at doing lead flashing on roofs. It's all about moving the metal slowly around and manipulating it gently. Go to fast and you make a pigs ear out of it.
It's a bit the same with this ball I'm wasting my time with 👍

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Been on it now for an hour like a demented woodpecker and it's looking better. The ridge has all but disappeared and looking alot more shiny and smooth.. Time for a bike now in the sun and will post another photo later on of my silver ball in it glory 😀👌

Top Bottom