Being overtaken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hypermind

Hey, A few months ago I came on here looking for advice on which bike to buy for my morning commute. Since then I've travelled to work and back (8 miles each way) maybe 5 or 6 times, I'm slowly getting in to the swing of things. I know I'm getting stronger, my leg muscles, and my fitness is improving.

I thought I was going pretty fast the other evening coming home, and was feeling quite proud of my speed as I approached a long gradual climb. Turns out I was going at a snails pace when another cyclist shot past me. It was almost as though he was going down hill at 30mph..

I keep getting overtaken on the road, and I am well aware that most of these people will be seasoned cyclists compared to me, a beginner, but still, I mean I thought I was putting in quite a bit of effort and had a decent pace. I regularly get overtaken on the road by other cyclists, and I've yet to be the person speeding past another cyclist.

Has anyone else experienced this and has it put you off? I just keep thinking to myself, it's not a race, and I'm still a beginner. Also I have a heavier hybrid bike and they probably have a light road bike.

U

User6179

Its always a race :biggrin:

I know when I'm going to be overtaken. It's an art.

I once turned into a minor road. Across the front of another cyclist by mistake as I didn't look properly. However, I was too big to admit my error and apologise. It was a slight down hill so I pedalled like mad. He was still quite close, I tried to make it look like I was just in a hurry.

Then I noticed a huge hill. So I pulled into somebodies drive way and got off bike, pretending that I had just got home. Then waited a few minutes to be clear of him before carrying on :biggrin:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hey, A few months ago I came on here looking for advice on which bike to buy for my morning commute. Since then I've travelled to work and back (8 miles each way) maybe 5 or 6 times, I'm slowly getting in to the swing of things. I know I'm getting stronger, my leg muscles, and my fitness is improving.

I thought I was going pretty fast the other evening coming home, and was feeling quite proud of my speed as I approached a long gradual climb. Turns out I was going at a snails pace when another cyclist shot past me. It was almost as though he was going down hill at 30mph..

I keep getting overtaken on the road, and I am well aware that most of these people will be seasoned cyclists compared to me, a beginner, but still, I mean I thought I was putting in quite a bit of effort and had a decent pace. I regularly get overtaken on the road by other cyclists, and I've yet to be the person speeding past another cyclist.

Has anyone else experienced this and has it put you off? I just keep thinking to myself, it's not a race, and I'm still a beginner. Also I have a heavier hybrid bike and they probably have a light road bike.
You're still building fitness.
There's always someone faster.
Be patient, one day you will find someone you can overtake!

Stevec047

Über Member
I get overtaken all the time and most of the time I am asked by the other rider if I am ok. I must look a mess ^_^

Don't bother me plus it means I can draft for a short time trying to keep up. Well until the body screams at me to stop.

Stevec047

Über Member
Be worried if you get over taken by a granny on her zimmer frame :laugh:
Oh is that a bad thing. May have to reevaluate my cycling then:tired:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Don't worry, I have the same problem, peddling away thinking I'm managing a decent speed, only to be overtaken by someone travelling twice the speed. Acceptable when riding a Boris Bike, deeply upsetting when on the road bike. Speed will increase with time and miles under your wheels. Just keep enjoying your riding and enjoy the time when you get the jump on someone !

martint235

Dog on a bike
Don't worry, I have the same problem, peddling away thinking I'm managing a decent speed, only to be overtaken by someone travelling twice the speed. Acceptable when riding a Boris Bike, deeply upsetting when on the road bike. Speed will increase with time and miles under your wheels. Just keep enjoying your riding and enjoy the time when you get the jump on someone !
This. Although if it's happening a lot and you want to get quicker, practise getting on to the wheel of the other rider and push yourself to stay there. The more you push yourself, the quicker you'll get quicker.

Getting overtaken doesn't bother me. What bothers me is if someone comes past, then sits in front and goes slower than I was (a wheel sucker who suddenly realises what a difference 30 odd percent draft makes). If I get one of those, I have to 'orbit' them for a while, then sail away from them once I'm bored. If someone is genuinely on a mission, and they want to get past and clear off, fair play.

Top Bottom