Being overtaken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jayaly

If I don't get overtaken I wonder why, what with Smallest Boy on the back and the basket on the front. That said, I did once overtake someone going uphill, when Smallest Boy was younger and a lot lighter. The guy on the other bike nearly fell off laughing.

Jody

Stubborn git
But also consider this...some of them use electric assist bikes!! (especially the ones that cruise uphill at 15mph

I was going down the TPT a few weeks ago, trying to catch a couple of old guys (70+) riding with long mac type coats and their trousers tucked into their socks. Couple of miles later couldn't work out how they were traveling at such speed.......... Until I saw the battery pack.

Sim2003

I find a big part is knowing your commute and to enjoy it. On days I really cant be bothered my awareness and speed both take a hit. A fair bit of my commute is on 20mph roads and some steady inclines. I try to smash it on the inclines and 20mph gaps. Then go steady on the higher speed parts.

I use to get over taken all of the time. Now when I get over taken its usually a RLJ or someone hopping on and off the path to beat crossings etc.

Just aim to beat yourself if anyone. There are far too many different variables to take in to make it worth while worrying about how someone else is doing.

Hip Priest

Veteran
If I'm training hard, I'm rarely overtaken. If I'm training in zone 2 I get overtaken by everyone, including yer granny. Do your own thing.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
If there is a headwind I take quite a bit of pleasure in trying to get in their draft and I can see the strain it is a causing them. Been there done that the other way round come up behind someone draft for a mile and then think I could be going faster pull out and remember how hard the wind is blowing but pride means I try and keep the power going and end up farking knackered. I hate the cheery hello passes as well, so I do it too!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'm always getting passed. A few weeks ago by a guy on an MTB, covered in mud. He must have just been offroading and been on his way home for a bath and a rest as he flew by me.
I've stopped getting embarrassed and just take it in my stride.
I did pass someone a couple of years ago but she was on a bit of a clunker and wearing wellies and carrying some horse tack heading back from the stables.
The only other others I pass are coming towards me:whistle:.

Hey, A few months ago I came on here looking for advice on which bike to buy for my morning commute. Since then I've travelled to work and back (8 miles each way) maybe 5 or 6 times, I'm slowly getting in to the swing of things. I know I'm getting stronger, my leg muscles, and my fitness is improving.

I thought I was going pretty fast the other evening coming home, and was feeling quite proud of my speed as I approached a long gradual climb. Turns out I was going at a snails pace when another cyclist shot past me. It was almost as though he was going down hill at 30mph..

I keep getting overtaken on the road, and I am well aware that most of these people will be seasoned cyclists compared to me, a beginner, but still, I mean I thought I was putting in quite a bit of effort and had a decent pace. I regularly get overtaken on the road by other cyclists, and I've yet to be the person speeding past another cyclist.

Has anyone else experienced this and has it put you off? I just keep thinking to myself, it's not a race, and I'm still a beginner. Also I have a heavier hybrid bike and they probably have a light road bike.

I've never been overtaken ever so I can't comment on the psychological issues thereof.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hey, A few months ago I came on here looking for advice on which bike to buy for my morning commute. Since then I've travelled to work and back (8 miles each way) maybe 5 or 6 times, I'm slowly getting in to the swing of things. I know I'm getting stronger, my leg muscles, and my fitness is improving.

I thought I was going pretty fast the other evening coming home, and was feeling quite proud of my speed as I approached a long gradual climb. Turns out I was going at a snails pace when another cyclist shot past me. It was almost as though he was going down hill at 30mph..

I keep getting overtaken on the road, and I am well aware that most of these people will be seasoned cyclists compared to me, a beginner, but still, I mean I thought I was putting in quite a bit of effort and had a decent pace. I regularly get overtaken on the road by other cyclists, and I've yet to be the person speeding past another cyclist.

Has anyone else experienced this and has it put you off? I just keep thinking to myself, it's not a race, and I'm still a beginner. Also I have a heavier hybrid bike and they probably have a light road bike.

When you walk to the shops, and someone walks past you - do you feel a sense of failure? Or break into a sprint, to show them who is boss?

When your cruising at 70 on the motorway in the middle lane, and a Merc hares past at 90, do you feel inadequate and a sense of worthlessness? Or do you floor it, tailgate and flash your lights until he gives way?

You're going to work for goodness sake. It's not a competition.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I beg to disagree, I'm the slowest one.
Sometimes joggers overtake me :ohmy:
I've had that happen on a hill:biggrin:

Everyday I overtake and get overtaken (more often overtaken) .... I don't pay very much attention, though I will admit to seeing someone in the distance getting closer can make me try a little harder once I realise that I am going faster than them.

Top Bottom