Being overtaken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Seems to me it's only roadies who are bothered by being passed.

My mate Chris is one of the strongest cyclists I know.

He's more of a mountain biker, but goes on the road with slicker tyres at this time of the year when the trails are very muddy.

His phrase is 'roadie hunting'.

"I can always tell when one's on the hook," he told me. "Lots of glances behind and the sound of grinding gears."

Ultimately, the target will often out pace him, but it's obvious said roadie is well hacked off at someone on a mountain bike keeping up, if only for a short distance.

Breezing along on my summer road bike with the benefit of a slight tail wind at about 21-22mph a couple of years ago when a guy on a mountain bike, who looked probably early sixties, suddenly appeared on my outside and started chatting away about this and that as though we were out for a Sunday morning stroll.
Bit of an ego deflater!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't understand the logic of when being overtaken to then raise your effort just to draft the person overtaking you, and thus spoiling your own rhythm. When people do this to me I just stop and let them go past. I don't know what their drafting skills are like to be comfortable with them on my back wheel.
Well, you don't necessarily have to raise your effort, or at least not much. If I'm struggling into a headwind, and a group overtakes I will tag on to get a temporary respite. I make no apology for this. I will drop off soon enough if their pace isn't for me. No one has ever stopped and asked me to go past yet.

If I'm flagging on a an audax or other long ride I'll use overtakers as a mental pacer (not actually drafting) by attaching a mental elastic rope to them as I used to do when distance running.

Last edited:

Jaykun85

Me i'm over taken all the time. doesn't bother me, as everyone is at totally different levels of fitness. Im just happy to be out on my bike in the country lanes, seeing some beautiful views. Whats nice is that there is that unspoken rule it seems that you greet your fellow cyclist with a friendly hello or wave. Always makes me smile that theres still this kind of politeness about :smile:

Bit off topic but I have to say that I have never had a problem with people drafting me (not that it happens often). I see people moaning about 'wheel suckers' and I just don't get it. I mean, I'll be doing my speed regardless of whether I'm affording somebody else some respite from drag or not. In fact. I'm quite happy for people to get a lift off me.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bit off topic but I have to say that I have never had a problem with people drafting me (not that it happens often). I see people moaning about 'wheel suckers' and I just don't get it. I mean, I'll be doing my speed regardless of whether I'm affording somebody else some respite from drag or not. In fact. I'm quite happy for people to get a lift off me.
Because I'm not confident in their stopping ability?

Lpoolck

Veteran

+1, or their skill level, awareness etc. Plus I have disc brakes on my road bike. My braking when wet, will be instant.

I did a reliability ride today and we caught some riders but couldn't overtake at first due to traffic. When we did they jumped in our draught, their performance for the few moments they were in front made me very nervous. We caught other riders similarly and they also tagged on but there's something about how they ride which means I didn't give the latter groups a second thought :wacko:

itchybeard

speed demon!

does it matter if you get over taken, how does it make you feel? lesser than...
Some people go around the gym faster than me, think faster, drink faster, drive faster...
Things work in cycle, so think that when you overtake someone, they will to you to.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Whats nice is that there is that unspoken rule it seems that you greet your fellow cyclist with a friendly hello or wave.
This bears further discussion I think... :popcorn:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So approach stuff cautiously, brake gently and signal before you stop, then? All good habits even if you haven't heard someone behind you. Causing a pile up just because you can stop on a sixpence and didn't hear the rider behind until then... is a bit daft.

Oh the problems of cycling becoming popular! Some of us from today's group day trip got berated for not hearing an oncoming cyclist's bell and moving over fast enough on a narrow country track! I think I prefer that to not seeing any other cyclists out except the hardcore.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's fair enough. I too am cautious when slipstreaming someone I don't know. They may do something utterly unpredictable. But - if the conditions are right (a raging headwind) I'll continue to do it - not very often, mind.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So approach stuff cautiously, brake gently and signal before you stop, then? All good habits even if you haven't heard someone behind you. Causing a pile up just because you can stop on a sixpence and didn't hear the rider behind until then... is a bit daft.

Oh the problems of cycling becoming popular! Some of us from today's group day trip got berated for not hearing an oncoming cyclist's bell and moving over fast enough on a narrow country track! I think I prefer that to not seeing any other cyclists out except the hardcore.
So let me get this straight... We expect drivers to know their stopping distances and leave a space that they can stop in, and we don't have the right to expect a following cyclist to do the same. If the traffic light changes and I decide to stop, I don't expect them to hit me because they thought id go through for example. Or if a car pulls out of a side road and I need to stop quickly.

And who signals to stop?

mjr

So let me get this straight... We expect drivers to know their stopping distances and leave a space that they can stop in, and we don't have the right to expect a following cyclist to do the same.
They should and you can hope they do but let's face it, you're foolish if you expect everyone to get it right all of the time.

And who signals to stop?
Me. Cycling is so busy in Norfolk and Cambridge and my brakes sharp enough that I suspect I'd have a line of bikes concertina'd into my rear rack at times if I didn't. In that London many don't seem to have a clue about any signals which is part of why it's so slow and stressful riding there. Aren't you in Bristol? I thought Bristol was pretty cycley now: how does it cope? Or are loads of cyclists cursing each other?

mjr

Thinking about it more, is a cyclist who won't signal they're stopping for a cyclist travelling too close much better than the old classic of a motorist deliberately brake- testing cyclists?

Top Bottom