Belgian Grand Prix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob S

I said asap, but that doesn't literally mean stop where you cock up and then let them go by...most people yield on the straight after the corner in question but Martin Brundle often points out that driver A is carrying on but has to yield or he'll be pointed out...followed by 'and driver A finally yields'.

Anyway we'll see how the protest goes.

Smeggers

The telemetry shoes a 6kph deficit, so not only did he yeild the position, he was also at pains to show no speed advantage.

The stewards are FIA officials, at least one of which is close friend of Max Mosely (Thatti). Rons relationship with the FIA has never been harmonious.

Think of it what you will - bit this is not the first time, and people are currently fleeing the sport like rats deserting the sinking ship.

Such a shame and I suspect Bernie will have something to say very soon.

Done a bit of investigating and found this. I was unaware that these plans had gone through already.

Yesterday’s announcement regarding the FIA’s revised plans for Formula One race stewards didn’t come as much of a surprise, given that grandprix.com highlighted the expected change over a week ago.

The new plan is to bring three random stewards to each race, plus Max’s right hand man, Alan Donnelly. Last year’s permanent steward Tony Scott Andrews has stepped down from his role, so the consistency that a regular face brought to the table has now been nullified.

Strangely this new structure is supposed to speed up the decision making process, although one fails to see how it could? A cynic might suggest that the introduction of Donnelly is just another way for Max to exert yet more control over the sport.

As grandprix.com points out, Donnelly isn’t exactly a model of impartiality either. His company Sovereign Strategy currently list Formula One Management Ltd as a client. It’s not hard to imagine the sport’s commercial interests being taken into consideration when looking at future rule infringements.

Rob S

Smeggers said:
The telemetry shoes a 6kph deficit, so not only did he yeild the position, he was also at pains to show no speed advantage.

And he didn't just allow Kimi to be technically in the lead by only a small margin whilst Lewis maintained the best side of the track, he was driving right behind him and Kimi had, after much wriggling about, the choice of line in to La Source.

Mr Pig

Desert Orchid said:
so he tries to overtake when there is not enough room

I don't agree with that. I think Kimi squeezed him off the track. The who thing looked like aggressive but fair racing to me.

Maybe Ron Dennis should start wearing a Nazi lapel badge, Max might like him better?

Desert Orchid said:
so he tries to overtake when there is not enough room,

if there had been a wall or a gravel trap his race would have been over,

instead he finds himself at speed to overtake once Kimi was just in front,

I think the stewards got it right

I agree. I enjoyed the race although it's always a shame to see it won in the rule book rather than on the road. Still, I'm not much of a McLaren fan (they seem so ... boring) so I don't mind.;)

Keith Oates

Janner
Ferrari rule the roost in F1, if they can't win on the track then they win off the track. We talk about corruption in other walks of life but Ferrari push it in our faces all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Desert Orchid said:
He didn't give up the position asap,

they had crossed the start finish line before he jinked behind and past him

Loving the porky about the start finish line. Can we nominate you as a steward ;).

marinyork

Spinning and not being taken out of the race is an outrage too. The drivers are getting a bit cheeky with their offs, especially raikkonen showing skill and loused it up, only crashing properly after a few times. He needs more practice.

Desert Orchid said:

That's a bit more clear cut. Hamilton barely gave Raikonnen room to get back on line. He certainly didn't give up the place easily - it looks almost like Raikonnen had to fight to regain it.
Incidentally, it was nice to see Hamilton being overtaking on the outside earlier in the race, not half an hour after he'd been telling the world how that was never going to happen again.:biggrin:

marinyork

Erm indeed you should. Slowmo it and you see raikkonon goes over both ends of the grid, even the finish line first which is why Brundle who disagrees with you said so at the time in the ITV commentary. So I don't really see why you can say he didn't give up the place ASAP, you can't get much more ASAP as that, that Hamilton was crafty and yielded just enough to get away with it and then reovertake - Hamilton was faster in S1 and S3 in the dry and faster in wet on dry is a factor also - is racing fun. Hamilton also managed to edge slightly ahead before end of the bus stop slightly off the racing line, making an equal claim on the corner, again crafty and somewhat negating it.

It's a shame as I like the battles at those corners. Raikkonen went off at guess where and because of the wet is perhaps gaining advantage there. Then there's a 3rd incident, where Hamilton is rammed off. No complaints really on either side. It's the Peter Sauber school of motor racing that spoils things. Also a great shame about Raikkonen out as that's a big shame for the championship.

I'm somewhat interested how people expect these maneuvers to carry on the same in the wet as the dry. I'd rather they both did what they did at all those corners than taking each other out. Anyhoo there's no way McLaren will win the appeal.

Mr Pig

Rhythm Thief said:
Incidentally, it was nice to see Hamilton being overtaking on the outside earlier in the race, not half an hour after he'd been telling the world how that was never going to happen again.:biggrin:

Yeah, I liked that too :0) I like to see the boy do well but he's a bit too full of himself. Saying that before the race was just asking for it.

Top Bottom