Bell, lights and new lock.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DEL 707

Still getting a few bits and bobs for the new bike and could use some help.
Bike I've got is a B'twin Triban 520 with drop handle bars.

I need a small bell that will fit my handlebars, but none or my LBS sell anything that will fit a roadbike, I don't need anything fancy, just small and not covered in messages like "I love my bike".

Lights wise, my daily commute gets dark during the winter months, no street lights, so I need a resonable bright front light, but don't want to throw silly amounts of cash at it, it's only a 20 minute ride. For the back light, I need something that can fit on my pannier rack, which is a Topeak Super Tourist DX, the rack came with a mounting bracket, but I'm not sure what's compatible.

I already have a D-lock which I cuse for my commute to the station, but I'm looking for something longer and flexible that I can throw in my panniers for when I have days out.

I appreciate any recommendations.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Go back to Decathlon, if its not nearby you can order on line. They have all the stuff you need. Their lights look good although I've only got their 2.99 rubber lights which are great to leave on flash.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/Bike+lights

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Most cheap rear LED lights will be more than good enough, but get two as you never know when one fades until you get home.

Also get a pair of reflective slap bands for the ankles can be more visible than lights once it goes dark.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Poundland do very acceptable LED rear lights that are as bright and flashy as any for, well a quid - not sure if they'll fit your rack but worth a look. Front lights it depends if they're just to "be seen" or if you need to illuminate the road ahead. Poundland do "be seen" front lights but they're not in the same league as their rear lights.

Cable locks are only really any use for times when the bike is going to be in view all the time, like at a cafe stop. If you have insurance it would be worth checking if they specify a minimum standard of lock that needs to be used.

I've got a Rockbros bell which I got on Amazon. They're not the cheapest but they are small and sound awesome.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
https://www.velovitality.co.uk/products/acor-aheadset-spacer-bell-black-or-silver

Lights, watch out for lidl's K-marked (which means good beam shape and legal) headlights in their next special offer. It comes with a taillight but if you really want rack mounted then, bizarrely, The Range currently stocks some for about £8. The main measurement that matters is how far apart the bolt holes are: usually 50mm or 80mm.

As for a cable lock, I don't think it's good to use less than a 12mm thick "braid of braids" now, or an alarmed cable and, even then, I'd use a D lock too if the bike's going to be out of sight.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Currently using an knog oi! bell Its not the loudest of bells, but for getting pedestrians to notice you its more than enough

Its small and compact, there are a few small niggles, one being its volume and it ringing itself ever so slightly if you're going over some bumpy terrain. I used to use the Hornit DB140 but people in london dont seem to give a toss about that as much as they do a 'ding' from a bell. (I have this bell on my Triban 540)

In some reviews you will hear some people complain about the spring which holds the hammer being 'flimsy' But these people are idiots and they pull the hammer right back until the spring is in a 'U' shape before releasing and no wonder it breaks.

as for lights. I can wholeheartedly recommend this light by C&B which was recently brought to my attention on these forums -- and now i also own one - Great value for £40

Alternatively A Fluxient U2 Mini is also a hell of a light (which i also own) Grab some panasonic 18650 batteries off amazon for £10 and on the lowest setting you'll be able to get at least 4-6hours on even the 2600mAh battery thats bundled with it and I know this because ive used the same fluxient light for my FNRttC rides.

::EDIT::

with the Super Tourist DX rack you can only fit Topeak lights on the back unless you buy another 'accessory' that allows you to use lights from Cateye

Stick a Redlite Aura or a Redlite Mega on -- I do have a brand new Redlite Mega thats been lying around for a year still in its box that you can have for £10 if youre interested.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's the GVolt which is the decent one. The Volt has a worse lens and gets dumped on foolish cycling markets like the UK.

Top Bottom