Bell, to use or not to use.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You should always ring your bell from a good distance away then follow it up with a polite "hello" if they don't react. I take my son with me; he rings his bell.

The trouble is that many older folk don't atually hear the bell....

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You can't win as people say but then again these sorts of places will have similar conflicts between other users dog walkers vs dog walkers, SUV push chairs, hell's granies, peds vs peds. Some people will get annoyed whatever.

OP
OP
TWBNK

TWBNK

I think that if in similar circumstances I will just do the same again. Pass them slowly, watch them spin around and look deeply shocked by my presence, clutching their chests as if in coronary artery spasm whilst formulating a letter to the Wirral News and the Wirral Globe.

Thanks for the replies.

U

User482

Yep, you definitely can't win, so just do what's necessary and safe. If there's plenty of room to pass I don't bother; if the path's a bit narrow I always ping the bell. Idiot joggers with their Ipod turned right up get the airzound treatment.

dodgy

Talking about the Wirral Globe, did you see the barage of abouse that the anti-cyclist Evelyn Campbell Smith ) got this week? She was having a go at cyclists riding 2 abreast (perfectly safe on the road in question). One of the respondents was a rather articulate 11 year old :wacko:

Dave.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I have no bell on my bike. I either say, "Excuse me please" Or go "Ding Ding" That usually either makes them smile or give me a strange look.

I think Rigid Raider is spot on. The long-distance bell is a kind of subconscious preparation for quiet approach, and an 'excuse me 'at a point where they have the opportunity to find a dry, convenient patch to move on to. And a 'thankyou' is mandatory.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Chuffy and I were once admonished for not using a bell by a woman who asserted her husband was deaf and hadn't heard us coming...

I've started using mine recently - it has a little bit more success than calling out, but people still tend to stop, turn round and stare in a mystified way.

We say thank you to almost everyone.

Carwash

Señor Member
Joe24 said:
I have no bell on my bike. I either say, "Excuse me please" Or go "Ding Ding" That usually either makes them smile or give me a strange look.

I have no bell on my bike. When passing a comely maiden, I sometimes affect a Leslie Phillips sort of voice and say 'Ding Dong!'. That usually either makes them smile or give me a strange look.

:wacko: No, not really.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Carwash said:
I have no bell on my bike. When passing a comely maiden, I sometime affect a Leslie Phillips sort of voice and say 'Ding Dong!'. That usually either makes them smile or give me a strange look.

:smile: No, not really.
My daughter's teacher is Mrs. Bell. Every time daughter says her name, I do the Leslie Phillips ding dong. (I can't help it, it's an affliction :becool:) Come parents' evening recently, I was that close! :smile:

Mr Pig

I shout 'coming through' in plenty of time and remain ready to stop if need be. Worked fine so far.

Remember to give idiot dog walkers extra time as few actually seem able to exercise much influence over their four-legged friends. Or give them no warning and run Fido over. Either is good.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mr Pig said:
Remember to give idiot dog walkers extra time as few actually seem able to exercise much influence over their four-legged friends.
In fairness, it can be tricky with a young dog - they tend to forget everything you've painstakingly taught them on quiet roads and at home when they get excited.

FWIW, if I know a cyclist is there, the dog and I will move to the side of the track to allow them to pass, and he'll be on a short lead, if not made to sit/lie down until the cyclist has passed.

dodgy

I hate it that there are people who think it's cool to try and run a dog down, a bit like it's sad that some motorists think cyclists are fair game.

Dave.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I mainly ride along country roads, so meet plenty of walker, horses and slower cyclists (not that many though). I use the tactic "coming through" warning, slow down and pass with care. Has worked fine so far. When I'm past, a polite thank you then on with the torture.

Top Bottom