Bell, to use or not to use.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It's so much easier in Germany where people actually expect you to ring your bell. As suggested the best technique is to ding from as far back as audibly possible, say 30 - 50 yards. This gives people a quiet non-alarming noise and so they have time to look round and not feel threatened - assuming they can hear of course.

Mr Pig

dodgy said:
I hate it that there are people who think it's cool to try and run a dog down.

Are you referring to my post? Secondly, do you actually ride a bike? I would've thought it was massively obvious that I was joking as hitting a dog of any size on a bike is going to result in you going over the bars and probably coming off a lot worse than the dog!

The cycle track that runs past my house is very popular with dog walkers. Most are fine but you do get numpties who let their dogs off the lead and are useless at getting them back under control. You have to slow right down and sometimes stop, you've got no choice.

dodgy

Mr Pig said:
Are you referring to my post?

Yep.

Mr Pig said:
Secondly, do you actually ride a bike?

No.

Mr Pig said:
I would've thought it was massively obvious that I was joking as hitting a dog of any size on a bike is going to result in you going over the bars and probably coming off a lot worse than the dog!

The cycle track that runs past my house is very popular with dog walkers. Most are fine but you do get numpties who let their dogs off the lead and are useless at getting them back under control. You have to slow right down and sometimes stop, you've got no choice.

Sorry, wasn't that obvious to me you were joking. There are actually people out there who will go on record that they think it's OK to hurt an animal. Just as there are people out there who will happily drive into a cyclist.

Sorry I mistook you and pissed you off.

Dave.

Sanny

Last year I cycled past 2 mums pushing prams with young kids,they had other kids too and they seen me cyling up, but when I passed the 2 mums they nearly jumped out of their skin.
I kept on cyling but I did feel real guilty for not appologizing.
So now I always ring my bell:biggrin:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Mr Pig said:
I would've thought it was massively obvious that I was joking as hitting a dog of any size on a bike is going to result in you going over the bars and probably coming off a lot worse than the dog!
Erm, wasn't it you who recently ran a dog over (by accident) without going over the bars ;)?

Mr Pig

Baggy said:
Erm, wasn't it you who recently ran a dog over (by accident) without going over the bars :laugh:?

Yes. But I didn't hit it deliberately and I did come off the bike, although I didn't land on the ground, just twisted my ankle. And I was going very slowly. Had I been going much faster I would've had a nasty crash.

but when I passed the 2 mums they nearly jumped out of their skin.

I've been there too. When I first started using the cycle track there would be times when I figured it was better not to shout. Sometimes people are very settled, no dogs or kids, but when you shout they panic and get 'more' in the way! A few times I just shot past people at high speed. It was stupid and I don't do it any more.

Top Bottom