Bells & Reflectors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary D

Please can someone who knows about these things clarify the following.

I was led to believe that all bikes, whether they be childrens or adults, have to leave the shop when new with a bell and front and rear reflectors on them (not quite sure about the wheel reflectors?). My understanding was that this was a mandatory requirement and the responsibility of the bike shop. If you chose to remove them afterwards, that was up to you.

The reason I am asking, is that I have just collected 2 new bikes for my children (aged 6 & 8) and when I got them home I noticed that neither of them had any of these things fitted. The eldest's bike hasn't even got reflectors on the pedals!

Before I approach the shop, I would like clarification of the facts.

Anyone know??
Thanks,
Gary.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
That's how I understand it to be Gary. The question is whether it also applies to childrens' bikes.

RedBike

Not too sure about childrens bikes. They're arguably not intended for road use and therefore don't require any reflectors / a bell.

Certainly worth asking though.
The last two bikes i've brought came with a bag containing all these gubins. They weren't actually fitted to the bike(s).

woohoo

Veteran
I guess it might be different for kids' bikes but when I bought a new bike last year, the LBS were insistent that they fitted all the reflectors and a bell even though I asked them not to. They said that they just couldn't take the chance of being caught breaking the law by supplying a bike without them.

OP
OP
G

Gary D

workers_united said:
I guess it might be different for kids' bikes but when I bought a new bike last year, the LBS were insistent that they fitted all the reflectors and a bell even though I asked them not to. They said that they just couldn't take the chance of being caught breaking the law by supplying a bike without them.

This is why I made the point - as I had exactly the same experience when I bought my Hybrid about 2 years ago - it came fitted with everything!
However, when I recently bought my new road bike it had nothing. However, it was supplied without pedals and apparently that does not constitute a "complete" bike and therefore the regulations don't apply.
As you can tell, I have been doing a bit of "Googling" since my first post, but I still can't seem to find any clear guidance on childrens bikes.

I'll keep looking :biggrin: :tongue:

Gary.

woohoo

Veteran
Gary D said:
This is why I made the point - as I had exactly the same experience when I bought my Hybrid about 2 years ago - it came fitted with everything!
However, when I recently bought my new road bike it had nothing. However, it was supplied without pedals and apparently that does not constitute a "complete" bike and therefore the regulations don't apply.
As you can tell, I have been doing a bit of "Googling" since my first post, but I still can't seem to find any clear guidance on childrens bikes.

I'll keep looking :biggrin: :tongue:

Gary.

I've had a similar lack of success with google :smile:

The bike I bought last year was a road bike without pedals but they still fitted the handlebar, saddle post and wheel reflectors (and of course the bell :smile: ).

PS Don't know what they would have done about reflectors if I had asked them to fit, say, Look 206 pedals. :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I thought it was that a bike had to be sold with a bell, and front and rear reflectors. Trying to think about my kids bikes (and no I'm not walking in my PJ's to the shed in the rain to find out), I think all came with bells, and front and rear reflectors but not all/any have pedal reflectors. Although pedal reflectors are useful, I think kids bikes often have rubber like pedals which may make it harder to mount a pedal reflector but is kinder on the shins.

As far as I know there is no minimum age that you have to reach before you can cycle on the road, although the suggested age would be about 9. Obviously kids cycle on the road before that age either in play on local roads or with adults on longer trips.

If its an LBS they must have some reflectors hanging around from those folk who immediately remove theirs, and well you can always buy the bell to personalise their bikes.

Edit: Just looked at photos from a bike trip - middle and eldest, no rear reflector (but IIRC I think we removed that to make the saddle lower), pedal reflectors, youngest: no reflectors (bike is about 9 yo). Makes me realise that I ought to put those rear reflectors back on. Bells I think all were supplied with bells but over the years that's been a thing they have got for christmas in a stocking etc.

Mr Pig

We've bought about six bikes from Dales in Glasgow over the last decade, adult and kids, and every one of them has come with a bell, and front and rear reflectors. The kids bikes all came with stands too.

Saddle bum

Über Member
Complete bike needs reflectors and bell.

Bike sans pedals is not a (complete) bike, so no need to have them.

Another reason for road bikes in particular not to come with pedals is that pedal reflectors should be fitted and are necessary if the machine is ridden at night. However I know of no cleated pedal system that has integral reflectors so the pedals are supplied separately.

woohoo

Veteran
Saddle bum said:

Bike sans pedals is not a (complete) bike, so no need to have them.

Another reason for road bikes in particular not to come with pedals is that pedal reflectors should be fitted and are necessary if the machine is ridden at night. However I know of no cleated pedal system that has integral reflectors so the pedals are supplied separately.
Although not intregated into the pedal, Shimano SPD pedals are supplied with a clip-in plastic piece that has reflectors and turn the pedals into cleated one side / platform the other.

OP
OP
G

Gary D

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Saddle bum said:

Saddle bum,
The point I don't think is clear at the moment is whether childrens bikes fall under the same rules as adults? From what info is available on the web, my view is that, depending on the saddle height of the bike in question, this determines if it is classed as adult or not. It appears that "complete" adult bikes do require bells and reflectors to be fitted when leaving the shop. Whereas, from what I can see, childrens bikes may fall under a different set of rules (classed as toys?).

Thanks,
Gary.

Plax

Guru
When I brought my Hybrid from Wiggle, it came with a bell, reflectors & wheel reflectors.
Bought my Tourer from Evans and it came with reflectors but no bell or wheel reflectors. The pedals were supplied with clip on reflectors. Not fussed about the bell as I'd have only taken that off. Bit miffed about the wheel reflectors though. The tyres have a reflective trim on them, don't know if that makes a difference.

Top Bottom