Bells & Reflectors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If its from a LBS that you have just spent your money with then I would think that from a buisness point of view they would chuck in the bits you want whether its legally required or not. If its a chain store ... probably think they have made the sale no need to look after the customer? If its a toystore then they probablly will say it is a toy. (I know big generalisations there).

Alcdrew

Don't know on the legalities but my son's bike came with bell and reflectors. And if you go in to toys r us all the bikes they sell come with them as well, and if any bike could be classed as a toy and not need bell/reflector it must be one from toys r us. So I would say the bikes should have come with them fitted.

little miss

Lardyboy said:
The most ridiculous sight I've ever seen regarding reflectors and bell was on a Giant TCR C1 with Ksyrium SSL wheels! :biggrin:

The bike in question was brand new at the time and had to conform to all the legal requirements, so was bought with reflectors and bell fitted. However, it no longer has reflectors. The bell is very handy for moving slow dog walkers out of my way on cycle paths, so stays!

Diolch!:biggrin:

515mm

Ummmm....

I think I've seen your bike Little Miss and yours isn't the one that Lards is referring to. Unless you've been posh wheel shopping that is!:smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Saddle bum said:
Complete bike needs reflectors and bell.

Bike sans pedals is not a (complete) bike, so no need to have them.

Another reason for road bikes in particular not to come with pedals is that pedal reflectors should be fitted and are necessary if the machine is ridden at night. However I know of no cleated pedal system that has integral reflectors so the pedals are supplied separately.

they do indeed exist. i have a pair of look ones on my winter bike (in my sig line). can't recall the model number though…

woohoo

Veteran
alecstilleyedye said:
they do indeed exist. i have a pair of look ones on my winter bike (in my sig line). can't recall the model number though…
... and Shimano SPD (M505s and M520s), on a couple of the bikes in our household bike garage, have the clip-in plastic reflector pieces.

Top Bottom