Bells..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good choice of bicycle and good choice of bell :-)

D

Deleted member 26715

I agree - single ping from a good distance usually does the trick tbh; if not I just keep ringing it with increasing frequency as I get closer until they pay attention.. round here a cycle bell certainly seems to elicit some primal-fear-like reaction as those who do react usually do so very quickly with an amount of terror in their eyes :laugh:
Entitled cyclist alert, why not slow down & pass with care, they have as much right to be on the path/bridleway as you.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Entitled cyclist alert, why not slow down & pass with care, they have as much right to be on the path/bridleway as you.
I've said nothing to imply that I don't necessarily slow down or pass with care.

Ultimately if I'm to pass they need to be aware of my presence; if they don't react to the bell this suggests that they're not.. so it gets used some more since it's purpose is, after all to alert others of your proximity.

I'm not suggesting that I have any more right to be on the path than anyone else; I do however believe in everyone having the basic courtesy to be aware of their surroundings and make an effort not to hold up others who are travelling faster than them; regardless of the modes of transport involved.

I think you're just manifesting your pathalogical hatred of bells :tongue:

Brads

Mine is 853 for both. Lugless and super comfy but bloody fast when it wants to be.

What's yours ?

Fab Foodie

Mine is 853 for both. Lugless and super comfy but bloody fast when it wants to be.

What's yours ?
Same. At speed it’s awesome. Though am finding the front end a bit stiff on rough road surfaces. Am considering a softer fork.
Conti GP5000 are big help though....

Brads

I find mine ok tbh. I run Vittoria 25's

Fab Foodie

Just let a few more PSI out of your front tyre... :whistle::laugh:

As a matter of interest... What pressures DO you use?
28c on 19mm rims Archetypes) front 90, rear 100psi...am 95kg!. Have run 80/90 but they feel stodgy with no improvement in vibes. Harder seems better.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
28c on 19mm rims Archetypes) front 90, rear 100psi...am 95kg!. Have run 80/90 but they feel stodgy with no improvement in vibes. Harder seems better.
Hmm... You are using better tyres than me so perhaps they need more pressure (?); I am only using 85F/95R on my 25C Lithion tyres. (I am currently 90 kg.)

I find that there is a fairly narrow band of pressure in which a tyre feels like it rolls ok but isn't too uncomfortable on rough roads. My best bike is a very stiff Cannondale CAAD5. It has a carbon fibre fork but the bike can still feel very harsh with the tyres pumped hard so that's why I use the lower pressures mentioned above.

I can see what you are saying about 'stodginess'. Hard tyres feel like they roll really well, but on rough roads they start to bounce uncomfortably over bumps so I'm not sure that any added efficiency is that significant.

My lower pressures are so comfortable that I sometimes think that I have a slow puncture and stop to check.

On better roads I would probably use 10-15 PSI higher pressures but some of our local roads are really bad and I want to keep the fillings in my teeth! :laugh:

Fab Foodie

Hmm... You are using better tyres than me so perhaps they need more pressure (?); I am only using 85F/95R on my 25C Lithion tyres. (I am currently 90 kg.)

I find that there is a fairly narrow band of pressure in which a tyre feels like it rolls ok but isn't too uncomfortable on rough roads. My best bike is a very stiff Cannondale CAAD5. It has a carbon fibre fork but the bike can still feel very harsh with the tyres pumped hard so that's why I use the lower pressures mentioned above.

I can see what you are saying about 'stodginess'. Hard tyres feel like they roll really well, but on rough roads they start to bounce uncomfortably over bumps so I'm not sure that any added efficiency is that significant.

My lower pressures are so comfortable that I sometimes think that I have a slow puncture and stop to check.

On better roads I would probably use 10-15 PSI higher pressures but some of our local roads are really bad and I want to keep the fillings in my teeth! :laugh:
Keeping the dentist at bay is a key consideration!

Top Bottom