Bells..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Keeping the dentist at bay is a key consideration!
I had a terrible phobia about going to the dentist so over the years my teeth got into a pretty poor state. I actually WAS getting dodgy fillings causing pain when riding over rough surfaces until I lowered my tyre pressures!

Fortunately, I eventually found a really good dentist who sorted out several decades of dental neglect and after that I was able to put an extra 5-10 PSI into my tyres. The extra pressure certainly helped reduce the frequency of snakebite punctures, one of the pitfalls of low pressures.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Here’s a bit of footage from my ride yesterday on a shared path.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LescDoTniOQ&feature=youtu.be

You can see how effective the 150 dB Hornit can be, I didn’t even have to give it the full berries either:laugh:

Phew! That oncoming cyclist didn't miss that little lad on a scooter by much (near the end of the clip). As for the Hornit at low level isn't it a bit bird like? Nothing says "bike" more clearly than a bell. If that doesn't work maybe the car alarm sound of a Hornit would clear the way but it's a bit overkill. No one yet has come up with something that can get through to earphone wearers without frightening the bejesus out of inoffensive bystanders.

I used to have a device that was sold as a boat horn for dinghy users. It was basically a canister of freon gas with a horn attached . Nowadays it would be some more environmentally friendly propellant. I cut down an old plastic water bottle and taped it in, then slipped it into a bottle cage.

Plus points: in traffic there was no doubt that you would get through to the most bass thumpingly addicted driver. Whether he would try to get his own back next time he came across you is debatable. It had a dramatic effect on dogs. They would either freeze, or run away. Away from roads you would be better pinging at pedestrians.

Minus points: There was no modulation. Either there was no sound at all, or birds would fall from trees, distant dogs would howl, and random passers by would ponder the wisdom of carrying spare underwear. You needed to be sure of a quick getaway to avoid retribution as it invited a reaction. Also, not so good in an emergency. By the time you had reached down and fumbled for the button, you would already either be someone's new bonnet mascot or the danger would have passed. Time better spent squeezing your brakes. If I had managed to find a way to mount it on my already crowded handlebars, it might have been different.

I cannot deny that it gave me an immense amount of pleasure when I had the opportunity to use it, being the hooligan I was then. Maybe an Airzound might be a modern equivalent. But on reflection, I am never in a hurry, and I rarely use my bell nowadays. If it fell off it might take a week before I noticed. So a mighty hooter might be just extra weight for me to cart around. Different strokes, different folks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom