Beltran tests postive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
According to cycling newsthe fine of 100K euros does not apply

"The station also reported that the team will escape the 100,000 euro penalty which was part of the ASO's anti-doping contract signed by all teams prior to the Tour, because they removed Beltrán immediately after the positive A-sample.

Not much of a penalty then!:eek:

OP
OP
Y

yello

mondobongo said:
Don't think this will be the only one. As mentioned they targeted Beltran after pre Tour test anomalies there were a total of 10 riders with abnormal levels recorded. If they are targeting all 10 then another rider may yet be caught out.

ASO are spinning this (and it may well be the truth!) that the 10 abnormalities were not to do with doping. The tests found results outside 'certain parameters' so the riders were advised as a safety precaution, i.e. their health may have been at risk. It all seems very vague and no mention of what the 'certain parameters' were.

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/79842/french-agency-dismisses-doping-claim

It is, however, plausible. I would hope that if a blood test showed traces of some virus or disease (for instance, I'm not saying it's that simplistic) then the testers would say something - even if it weren't what they were testing for. So it's benefit of the doubt time as far as I'm concerned.

Fingers crossed that Beltran is the only one.

Leakygas of course have signed Basso...

Perhaps ASO will not invite them next year, in the way they shut-out Astana this year.

It's supposed to be 10-20 riders who have 'suspicious' results from pre-Tour tests.
They are testing Ricco and Cunego a lot. Ricco won a stage so obviously they tested him then, but he's been done almost every day I understand...

OP
OP
Y

yello

Many riders are having frequent tests of one form or another... I think it's the new regime and not necessarily part of any 'targeting' per se.

girofan

The BBC reported the TdF for the first time this week, as far as I know, on News 24's sports slot, and what did they report? 'Triki' Beltran's positive test! The only time cycling gets a mention on the BBC and the wider media is when there's something salacious, and our sport plays right into the hands of the sensationalist media.
Again anyone who rides a bike seriously will be portrayed as a cheating junkie!!!
I really do consider that this time it is the end of cycle sport as a credible athletic pursuit. This cynical lot of managers, riders and agents have finally put the last nail in the coffin and we may never recover.
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noodley

girofan said:
I really do consider that this time it is the end of cycle sport as a credible athletic pursuit....

That's been said for years GF. Every time there's a positive test people say it's the end. I doubt this will have much impact. Look at Puerto, Festina, Oil for Drugs, Landis, the Chicken, etc, etc

Keith Oates

Janner
It's disappointing but the real cycling fans will not be put off as they love the sport regardless. Most of the moaning is from those outside of the sport who are not in love with it and don't fully understand what goes on in the races!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Losidan

One rider kicked out....another who has come from nowhere to wear the maillot jaune and stinks to high heaven.....

Another top year for the TDF!!!

Noodley

Losidan said:
....another who has come from nowhere to wear the maillot jaune.....

you speaking about Schumacher or Kirchen?

Schumacher hardly came from nowhere. He was bronze medal winner in last year's Worlds. And wore the maglia rosa in the Giro the year before last.

Kirchen was in top ten of last year's Tour and won a stage as well IIRC. And this year he has been posting some very good results, and IMO he's not too much of a surprise for the maillot jeune at this stage of the race.

girofan said:
The BBC reported the TdF for the first time this week, as far as I know, on News 24's sports slot, and what did they report? 'Triki' Beltran's positive test!

No, there was lots of coverage on News 24, News at 10, the link into sports headlines on the BBC News homepage, and on BBC radio news, of Cav's win in the stage the other day.

Now he's won another one, I'm expecting lots of coverage tonight.

Losidan

Noodley said:
you speaking about Schumacher or Kirchen?

Schumacher hardly came from nowhere. He was bronze medal winner in last year's Worlds. And wore the maglia rosa in the Giro the year before last.

Kirchen was in top ten of last year's Tour and won a stage as well IIRC. And this year he has been posting some very good results, and IMO he's not too much of a surprise for the maillot jeune at this stage of the race.

I guess I misheard the commentry on ITv then...It seemed to imply that he came from nowhere to win the time trial and take the jersey.

girofan

andy_wrx said:
No, there was lots of coverage on News 24, News at 10, the link into sports headlines on the BBC News homepage, and on BBC radio news, of Cav's win in the stage the other day.

Must say I don't rely on BBC for cycling news, so your experience is good news in a way. I'm usually too busy watching Eurosport and trying to believe what I'm seeing is the truth. Unfortunately it often turns out to be a total lie.
I agree with a lot Noodley says, but perhaps this time these selfish b***ards have gone one test too far!

Noodley

Losidan said:
I guess I misheard the commentry on ITv then...It seemed to imply that he came from nowhere to win the time trial and take the jersey.

There was quite a bit implied on the ITV commentary! :thumbsdown: I've no idea why they singled him out for comment regarding his performance :biggrin: He has won quite a few ITTs over the years, this is the biggest no doubt. Maybe the ITV team have been told a few snippets behind the scenes...

Noodley

rich p said:
I think it was about the recreational amphetamines and why he's in and Boonen out

The timing did it for Boonen, and the fact he is a big star.

Schumacher's amphetamine positives were in 2005 and 2007 (the latter being a test carried out by the Police, not cycling/drug authorities).

Top Bottom