Bent Big Ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Took my bike into the LBS over the weekend as I was hearing some weird scrapey noises in high gears. Turns out the large ring on my crankset is bent, and is scraping slightly against the chain which usually sits on the middle ring, when in higher gears.

I have absolutely no idea how it got bent, I've not had a single off on this bike nor ever dropped it so have no idea why it's bent. Took it in to Evans where I bought it and had it looked at and they say it's definitely been involved in an impact and they don't think it'll be covered by warranty, which sucks.

So I have two questions:

1. Any way I could hassle them into offering a warrantly replacement on this? Can I claim it must be defective, and even if they insist I've hit it do I have any recourse to say no I didn't and is the onus of proof on me or them to prove I haven't?

2. I never use the outer ring anyway, if I can't get it replaced for free, any harm in bashing it back into shape so it at least isn't scraping the chain when it's in its usual home of the middle ring?

actonblue

Über Member
What sort of groupset is it? But you can bend the offending teeth back into place with a big adjustable spanner.
You could have bent it with a bad gear change or someone could have bashed your bike if you had locked up somewhere.
It is not difficult to resolve.

Cheers.

Colin.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
When mine got bent, the LBS just hit it with a hammer, NB they didn't charge me for this service ;)

MartinC

Über Member
If you want to be really posh use one of these - http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=14&item=DT-2

Otherwise stilsons or a mole grip may do. Or take it off and hammer it on a flat surface. Try to bend it as little as possible (but if it's steel do what you like) i.e. try not to bend it to far so that you have to bend it back again. Hardened aluminium doesn't like being bent to often and will fatigue much sooner than steel.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If you want to be really posh use one of these - http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=14&item=DT-2

Otherwise stilsons or a mole grip may do. Or take it off and hammer it on a flat surface. Try to bend it as little as possible (but if it's steel do what you like) i.e. try not to bend it to far so that you have to bend it back again. Hardened aluminium doesn't like being bent to often and will fatigue much sooner than steel.

The problem with aluminium is not only does it bend but stretches as well, you can't just bend it back into shape.... :sad:

Many years ago, I've used a pair of mole grips to straighten a steel chain ring. As mentioned above, there could be a problem with aluminium, but provided you do it slowly, you've got nothing to lose. After all, it doesn't work now, so if you break off a tooth, it's no worse!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
I shall be seeking out a rubber hammer today.

I've realised this issue has also killed my chain. Wah.

Top Bottom