Bent rim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
I just took me tyre off to repair a puncture, which appears to have been successful. However, now I've put the tyre back on and pumped it up, at the place I used (spoons) to get the tyre off, the tyre seems to sink a bit deeper than the rest of the way round the rim, if that makes sense. This makes it look like there's a dip in the wheel but the actual metal is fine and still round.
I think the problem might be that I've increased the width of the rim by levering the tyre back on with the spoons, could this be it? If so, should I just try to squeeze it a bit smaller again?

Thanks ;)

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
It is slightly out but not a lot at all, and I knew that already. I theorised as I did because when you look at the tyre, there is a marker that normally goes all the way around, just before the rim, but where I levered the tyre, it sinks below the rim so you can't see any more, suggesting to me a widening. I didn't think it likely either, that it had widened that is, but I can't think of anything else. Might have to go to LBS...

RedBike

I agree with Lee here. I seriously doubt you've bent the rim.
It sounds like you've not got the tyre seated on the rim correctly.

Take the tyre off. Put a bit of soapy water around the rim/ tyre and try again.

It is possible to bend the rim side-wall if the rim has become thin and weak through excess brake wear but it's more likely that the tyre simply hasn't seated correctly. If it's worn thin it's new rim time.

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Thanks for the replies.
It's a brand new wheel (old trye and inner tube, but new wheel), only got a couple of weeks ago after a fall bent the old one.

02GF74

Über Member
tyres often have a line on the edge and on some I have fitted, cheap and expensive tyres, it is very hard to get this line to be an even distacne from the rim. The tyre itsef will bulge in out out when the wheel is spun.

I have tried by partial deflating pulling/pushing the trye and can get it better but no eliminate the problem. Riding it I feel no bumpiness so not worried about it.

I think it may be tyre/rim incompatability perhaps but the first time I cam acorss this was on a brand new bike so may be some manufacturing tolerance?

Bascially what I am trying to say is don't worry about it but try to get the fitted tyre as symmetrically as possible.

It is unlikely you will have bent the rims when removing/fitting the tyre unless the sidewalls are very worn and have become papeer thin, in whcih case you should replace the rim.

jimboalee

+ 1 on User3143.
Is the rim a clincher with hooks? If it's run-out is good, the tyre is bad.
Is the rim a plain rim without hooks? Inflate to about 10 psi, and massage the tyre into concentricity. It will never be perfect, but you wont feel it above the roughness of the road.

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Thanks all, I deflated and soaped up the rim and there is improvement, still slightly out but not a concern. Wheel still out of true though :evil: (but not much so it'll do for now)

Top Bottom