'Bent trike - Tadpole or Delta?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

n-ick

Yo ,
the black trike on ebay was one that started out as a 2 wheeler.
I then bought a Ken Rogers rear and bolted it on. Thus this could be removed and a 26" wheel put back in.
There are fixings for canti type brakes to the rear wheel.

I found the 2 wheel very skittish and the 3 wheeled version unstable due to height of the rider/seat. It was easy to lift a wheel/roll.
I then sold it on. Intersting in that it has 3 chainsets to get the chain line over to the drive.

Susequently I've had 2 tadpoles and tried a few deltas.
For speed and comfort you could do no better than a tadpole, ie. Ice Qnt.
For stability and ease of getting on the seat the deltas are ace.
We tried in deep snow/ice to try and flip a Kett over. No way could we do it, it was that stable.
However we found the Greenspeed Anura a bit liftable at speed,
maybe due to it's 16" wheels.

There's a few trikes on fleabay now for those thinking of buying 2nd hand.

Fiona N

Veteran
so you pick up the back wheel and it follows behind you...

Of course, if you have a Windcheetah with a rear rack on, there is a very convenient bar over the rear wheel which for me is ideal for picking the back wheel up (even with luggage on) and pulling it along. Otherwise on even ground, I can just centre the steering and push it along with my hand on the top of the headrest. Although it has to be said, I don't push/pull the Windcheetah much, I'm much happier cycling really slowly and calling out to pedestrians :biggrin:

Well, that tends to be the case for 'bents in general- but how do you find filtering on one ? - when I started looking at 'bents a long time ago I was hankering after a trike, but I came to conclusion that the height/width of a trike wouldn't be quite as practical as something vaguely driver head-height and a bit narrower (eg Hurricane or Speedmachine).

I have a Catrike Expedition, a Street Machine and a Hurricane. The Catrike is physically not a lot bulkier than one of the others when laden.

When it comes to filtering, it is in some ways easier as you are more stable. I find that any gap I cannot make on the trike, is probably one that I would not consider on the Street Machine or Hurricane either. In fact in traffic the fact you don't need to put a foot down makes moving off a lot easier and faster, and without any wobbling.

All in all the trike is as good as if not a better vehicle in traffic than the two machines you cite.

byegad

Legendary Member
I find my Kettwiesel is better at filtering than the QNT, even though it's a tad* wider. The higher seat level helps too.

*Tad... An engineering term meaning a measurable difference.

I find my Kettwiesel is better at filtering than the QNT, even though it's a tad* wider. The higher seat level helps too.

*Tad... An engineering term meaning a measurable difference.

As opposed to the much finer measurement of a "Smidge"

henshaw11

I have a Catrike Expedition, a Street Machine and a Hurricane. The Catrike is physically not a lot bulkier than one of the others when laden.

When it comes to filtering, it is in some ways easier as you are more stable. I find that any gap I cannot make on the trike, is probably one that I would not consider on the Street Machine or Hurricane either. In fact in traffic the fact you don't need to put a foot down makes moving off a lot easier and faster, and without any wobbling.

All in all the trike is as good as if not a better vehicle in traffic than the two machines you cite.

I agree re the advantage of stability - and although it's possibly I might consider smaller gaps if I can get through them in one go, once you allow for wobble room on an (unladen USS) two wheeler vs a trike there's probably not a lot in it width-wise. My concern (on a lowish trike) would be more about drivers spotting you when approaching from behind, and in particular being able to eyeball them to check what they're doing and whether they've seen you - some lane-splitting in the rain a few weeks ago comes to mind. As it is I'm always a bit more wary where Chelsea Tractors are concerned, since they're that much taller.
It's not that often a problem but motorists tend to be a bit dopey when it comes to stopping next to pedestrian reservations/refuges - it's rare not to get the SPM through foot-down but I'd be stuffed on a trike.

starhawk

The decision of a Tadpole or a Delta is a question of where you are going, the Delte can possibly have a tighter turning cycle than the Tadpole, but the Tadpole is more stable in the turns and have superior braking power, and as you are generally lower on the tadpole you have much less wind resistance too. Converting from a three-wheeler to two-wheeler is really no decision, after trying a three-wheeler you will not go back. The lower profile of the tadpole has been no problem in trafick, the cars see your flag and usually give you a wide berth

byegad

Legendary Member
I find my Kettwiesel is as stable as my QNT. In fact I've yet to lift a wheel on the Kett' whereas I have lifted the inside wheel of the QNT a couple of times. It's perfectly easy to control and only happens at truly silly speeds!
The turning circle of the Kettwiesel is incredibly tight but the much larger turning circle of the QNT isn't an issue unless you really want to do U turns on cycle tracks!

n-ick

"My concern (on a lowish trike) would be more about drivers spotting you when approaching from behind, and in particular being able to eyeball them to check what they're doing and whether they've seen you - some lane-splitting in the rain a few weeks ago comes to mind. As it is I'm always a bit more wary where Chelsea Tractors are concerned, since they're that much taller.
It's not that often a problem but motorists tend to be a bit dopey when it comes to stopping next to pedestrian reservations/refuges - it's rare not to get the SPM through foot-down but I'd be stuffed on a trike."

Yo,
theory suggests that a driver can easily spot and avoid a brick on the road.
I've never had a problem. Best thing is a mirror on each side and a flag on a pole.

I find that on a road bike , drivers will come too close, but keep away from a trike.
As for sightlines, then you will be at the same height or higher than most silly sports cars.

As for rider saftey, the higher the seat, the more insecure I feel.
a low seat you sit in the trike and not on it.

Why are we pussyfooting around with all this advice and discussion?

he answer is staring us in the face................

Buy one of each!

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Why are we pussyfooting around with all this advice and discussion?

he answer is staring us in the face................

Buy one of each!

lol, if only

Storage is going to be an issue for one, never mind two - might end up having to buy some kind of locker

See my signature! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

My first recumbent was a Linear, followed by a 1994 Trice, a Challenge Hurricane and a Street Machine. I got rid of Trice to Bike MAgic, and sold the Linear, but replaced them with a Catrike Expedition and a Gekko

I have played with the Kettwiesel, but I preferred the Catrike, and the Gekko fitted a "folding agenda"

I am quite tempted by the Rotovelo but I suspect I will have to murder the wife as she will not give permission

(Actually thinking about it... I could claim the insurance and finance it as well!)

Give Ian my regards when you get the Trail.

Top Bottom