Berto Tyre Pressure App

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
I'd hoped this would be an app for measuring your tyre pressue. Like the clever heart rate ones it could ,I don't know, vibrate on the tyre and measure the shockwaves to tell the pressure or something smart like that.

Telling you what pressure to pump it to seems a bit crap. For a start there's a label on the tyre with that information on.

thefollen

Veteran
Heard a lot of people like to rock their PSI up over the ton. Personally I find the road bike feels a little sluggish at anything over 90. I weigh around the 60kg mark (probs 65-67 with kit and backpack), perhaps 90PSI's the weight-appropriate pressure.

Recall a while back somebody posted a link to a weight/recommended PSI graph, quite handy. Other than that, as one of the earlier posts mentioned- case of trial, error and seeing what suits.

ushills

Veteran
That would be me I think.

A google search for Bicycle Quarterly and tire pressure drop would get you the article.

Max pressure is not recommended and a 15% tyre drop is best for cushion, grip and rolling resistance.

Yahwob

Regular
I was pretty amazed by the pressures you guys are talking about lol.

I actually only pumped my tyres up for the first time last week as they were getting a bit squashy. Pumped them up to 60psi and I thought they were rock hard. Boy did it make a difference! They were at 20 psi before I pumped them up and if you pardon the pun it felt like I was riding on air afterwards.

I have a pair of Schwarbe Cityjets on my bike and I'm not sure what the max pressure should be but I'd be a bit scared to pump them up to the 100 psi you guys are talking about or should I be doing this. I am not a lightweight by the way (17 stone) so I can see the logic in the fact that my tyres are pretty squashed to the ground if they are not at the right pressure lol.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I have a pair of Schwarbe Cityjets on my bike and I'm not sure what the max pressure should be but I'd be a bit scared to pump them up to the 100 psi you guys are talking about or should I be doing this. I am not a lightweight by the way (17 stone) so I can see the logic in the fact that my tyres are pretty squashed to the ground if they are not at the right pressure lol.
Check the sidewall, it'll give you the correct pressure range.
IMO the No1 cause of avoidable punctures is underinflated tyres. Go over a bump and the tube gets pinched, potential for 2 holes or 'snakebite'

I actually only pumped my tyres up for the first time last week as they were getting a bit squashy. Pumped them up to 60psi and I thought they were rock hard. Boy did it make a difference! They were at 20 psi before I pumped them up and if you pardon the pun it felt like I was riding on air afterwards.

Well done! you have apparently mastered the art of riding light. Most people who set off on 20 psi of inflation will end up walking home.

Tynan

Veteran
I find the bike noticeably quicker and lighter handling when I do my twice weekly topup to 100/110

mind you, I'm a big chap with pannier

OP
OP
Stonepark

Stonepark

Über Member

FYI the app for 1.5inch tyres would suggest 35psi front and 62psi rear for your bike, which in practice mean 45psi front (tyres minimum pressure) and 62psi rear (which is still under the tyres max pressure). Don't over pump your front as the vibration transferred to your hands may result in a less comfortable ride.

daSmirnov

110 psi in the winter, both front and back. Summer 120 psi. Give it 3 or 4 days before topping them up, usually lose about 10 psi in that time. If I'm doing a Strava segment, 140 psi (and cover ears).

Top Bottom