Best 4 season sleeping bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

FWIW I use a Cumulus down bag (Polish), not cheap, but customised and they offer repair and rejuvenation if necessary. I can't fault mine.

Interesting - never heard of - will check out - can I/we ask which "model" yours is if non customised? Price? Also, what is it rated to and do you find the performance matches the ratings? They can be a quagmire of course.
Personally on customisation, I don't think I'd have the knowledge or confidence to get into that.

edit - found their web page - despite having a uk web address it says prices shown are ex VAT and that folks outside EU may have to pay certain duties/taxes.

Last edited:

Petrichorwheels

You can get fleece sleeping bag inners, they add about half a season to whatever bag you already have. I think snugpak do one.

Yep I have a Lifeventure one though am not sure what it adds - more cold weather experiments needed.
It's important of course that it is some sort of "technical" fleece material. Some cheap fleece stuff is a waste of time.

Petrichorwheels

I wasn't thinking of four seasons from a technical perspective. Rather one I can use in warmer spells in winter?

Snugpak seem good too. Oex are they an in house brand of someone?

Think you need to specify the temperatures you are considering.
As I understand it the "comfort" one is the relevant one - the other lower quoted ones won't make for a good kip/joyful waking to a new day.

You can get fleece sleeping bag inners, they add about half a season to whatever bag you already have. I think snugpak do one.

Yes, but any that I have seen seem very flimsy and I'm not sure of the durability.
I did have a merino wool liner which was wonderfully toasty but unfortunately far too prone to ripping.

Mines well over twenty years old and still going. They have the advantage of being machine washable unlike down bags.

If you can post the name/brand that might be helpful to the OP.

Petrichorwheels

classic33

Leg End Member
Ended up buying a oex https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15904992/oex-fathom-ev-400-sleeping-bag-15904992

As I had a morning free and go outdoors was on way to the failed canal tour.

Meant I had money free for a Vango soul 200 tent too.

If it's a little cold I can wear a thermal jacket too.
I'd have spent some of the money, spent on the thermal jacket, on the sleeping bag.

Find yourself cold during the night, and trying to warm up afterwards, will involve getting colder to begin with. Unless you're good at getting dressed in a tight space.

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
I'd have spent some of the money, spent on the thermal jacket, on the sleeping bag.

Find yourself cold during the night, and trying to warm up afterwards, will involve getting colder to begin with. Unless you're good at getting dressed in a tight space.
Opps perhaps I should have read the reviews!

I didn't buy a jacket today but I will do as an off bike evening jacket which I can put in if really cold.

I'm not going to camp if it's really cold anyhow as cycling in freezing conditions isn't on my radar!

I'm not planning on extreme gb-enduro stuff just the occasional overnighter on long rides!

I'll try it out after Christmas.

Petrichorwheels

Opps perhaps I should have read the reviews!

I didn't buy a jacket today but I will do as an off bike evening jacket which I can put in if really cold.

I'm not going to camp if it's really cold anyhow as cycling in freezing conditions isn't on my radar!

I'm not planning on extreme gb-enduro stuff just the occasional overnighter on long rides!

I'll try it out after Christmas.

If you have doubts I assume you can return it unused. You didn't answer Qs about temps. We don't even know which bit of the country you are planning to camp in. Winter is a broad description. Might concentrate your mind. I too avoid cycling with any risk of ice but you can still have some damn cold nights without that being a serious risk in the morning.

You also have to allow for a certain degradation in bag performance after some use. Do keep any bag stored loose out of its stuffsack.

Top Bottom