Lightweight 4 season sleeping bag for bike packing - recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Within the next week or so I need to obtain a new lightweight 4 season sleeping bag and have no idea of what is worth having.
I have a decent mat, tent, etc but my current Softy sleeping bag - though warm down to under -10 C - is far too bulky and bleedin heavy.
I wriggle a lot when I sleep so need a bit of room in the bag. Looking for as small a pack size as possible and sub 1kg. I have a few fleece inner bags & have been using them with a summer bag & clothing but they are not really warm enough.
I look forward to hearing what the wise hive says.
About to hit the hay, but look forward to any replies.
Thank you.

Baldy

Über Member
4 season, under 1kg, it's going to be very expensive. You could look at PHD, Rab, mountain equipment etc. At that weight it will need to be down.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Have a look at Alpkit down sleeping bags. But as '4 seasons' is a very 'wide' category, you perhaps have to really define more clearly what you want: How warm do you want to be at what temperature? Wearing how many clothes? How many nights in succession?

I can survive a few nights well below freezing in my minimalist Mountain Equipment Lightline, especially if wearing a thermal top and bottom and using a polypro liner, but I wouldn't want to go days on end with it. Conversely my full 4 season bag was fine for a long winter walk in the Himalayas but even with the opening zips, was pretty hard to stay cool enough once the temperature reached 10 degrees or so in Katmandu.

Baldy

Über Member
Ultra light hikers use down quilts to shave off the weight of zips .

It's not the weight of the zip, it's the half of the sleeping bag that your laying on. Compressed down doesn't give you much insulation, so the side of the bag under your body isn't keeping you warm. Quilts fit directly onto your mat with straps going under the mat. This puts the down over you and the mat under you. Some people like it others hate them. I think it depends on how much you turn in the night. I couldn't get on with one.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Am resigned to the fact that the bill is likely to be in the region of £200.
Thanks for the suggestion so far - I am investigating them. Problem so far seems to be finding a localish stockist - not spending hundreds on something I can't roll over in.
By 4 seasons I am using the definition that says comfortable at 0 to 5 C.

rualexander

Legendary Member
By 4 seasons I am using the definition that says comfortable at 0 to 5 C.

That range would generally be covered by 3 season bags

Top Bottom