Best and worst car you ever had...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had an Estelle. It cost £300, the sunroof leaked, the 'alloy' wheels were made of cheese (removing one meant cutting a new bolt thread) and a previous owner had warped the head turning the oil to a glutinous sludge. What was surprising is it kept going. I hold it in greater affection that the Rovers, Nissans and Vauxhalls I've owned over the years and new Skodas are very well built, if not cheap any more.

I've been lucky enough to own Aston's, Jags, Lotus etc, etc but I actuall miss my Skoda Favorit more!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Best: Peugeot 308 SW. Bags of room for bike stuff. It's a nice blue colour. Err...

Worst: Ford Fiesta that was actually two cars stuck together. Neatly done, according to the nice policeman, and unnoticeable unless you knew what to look for, or crashed in it.

blockend

I've been lucky enough to own Aston's, Jags, Lotus etc, etc but I actuall miss my Skoda Favorit more!

It's the same syndrome that makes people with perfectly good carbon fibre bikes fish around in skips for rusty frames to turn into fixies. Or why I prefer my MZs to BMW motorbikes.

Best would have to be the Fabia vRS slightly modded with TT brakes, eibachs, Konis and a decat. Offered 50+mpg on a run but could still put a smile on your face on a track.

Worst a Volvo 340

Downward

Guru
Only ever had one car - used Toyota Corolla. Bought it when it was 6 years old and had it for 11 years now.

Likes: It runs and runs and runs and nothing rattles. Oh...and it's cheap to maintain - plenty of parts gotten from scrapyards.

Dislike: Un-exciting to drive, but roads are that busy that this doesn't bother me much. Won't attract the girls but I'm beyond all that anyway.

Would I buy another? Yes, but only if I can't keep current one on the road.

Heheh I have a 13 year old Corrolla with 33k miles on it - Electric bits and Air Con - all I need.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
missed out in earlier post

worse courtesy car used = has to go an Alfa Romeo 156 borrowed from an Alfa dealer i worked for at the time , 2 differant warning lights for impending engine failure in 300 yrds , took it back to dealership and drove our old citroen zx home .

Night Train

Maker of Things
missed out in earlier post

worse courtesy car used = has to go an Alfa Romeo 156 borrowed from an Alfa dealer i worked for at the time , 2 differant warning lights for impending engine failure in 300 yrds , took it back to dealership and drove our old citroen zx home .

I had a courtesy car from a garage that was a Saab 95. The engine had two speeds, screaming its head off or limp and lifeless. It did about 5mpg.
Granted it was all they had at very short notice when my car was towed in for repair so I couldn't complain, much.:biggrin:

Best – by a long, long way - a Peugeot 504 (early 70smodel). Two owners from new – a French Countess who'd hardly usedit, and her Cape Verdean chauffeur, to whom she sold it when he leftFrance and ended up in Senegal.

Immaculate condition – when we wentto look at it, it was very definitely the case that the guy waschecking US out; far more important that we were consideredappropriate owners, than me checking out the mechanics, or whether the brakes worked.

And it was brilliant. Took me and thekids comfortably and reliably (if lazily) all over Senegal – unfazed byanything; hills, heat, "rough" roads. Only one small niggle – it was a pretty antiquateddiesel, so if I did happen to decided to accelerate, I had to fill out a form intriplicate, send it to the Ministry of Transport in Dakar, andcollect 43 office stamps ... AT LEAST two weeks in advance.

Second best that I drove – flatmate's Saab; one of the old V4 engined, “teardrop” shaped cars. Back in the days when Saab built real cars, not cavaliers with a badge.

Worst? ......... that I've driven, myDad's Reliant 3-wheeler van. Interesting times trying to cross theForth Road Bridge in anything more than a gentle breeze.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Best is the Merc C200 Coupe, I've had 43mpg on a long run, quiet comfortable, does not look bad, reliable and its been cheap to run with relativley low devaluation. I can get two bikes in the back with their wheels on. It's 9 year old now so I have not been ripped off by a dealer changing cars every 3 years.

Worst is is a toss-up between the same C200 Coupe which I bought when Mercedes were experimenting with cost cutting paint work, the body rust is terrible for a modern car, the alloys deteriorate and look crap. The second set they put on are as bad as the first. The other is the Renault 5 GT Turbo that was brand new and broke down 6 times in its first year. The scariest moment was chasing it off the M25 down the M3 where the throttle stuck down. But I do know it will do 135mph whether you want it or not.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Best: (by my lights most fun) toss up between a 2CV and a Citroen ZX Td
Worst: (biggest pita to own) Citroen BX or SAAB 9000

moralcrusader

I'm not sure I've ever had a "worst"! Your first car always hold s a place (1982 Y reg Vaxhall Astra), and my second car was inherited from my Grandad so had huge sentimental value (1992 J Rover Metro). Thus it's down to my most recent two.

Best

My current car (1981X Mercedes 230E), bought for £485 and has taken me round Europe three time including being driven hard round the Nurburgring - the only time it's ever let me down is in the queue for the ferry on all three occasions (overheating, overheating, stuck fuel pump relay). I'm trying to spend some money to fix some of the problems as a reward but bike stuff keeps on getting in the way. Nevertheless, several thousand Moroccan taxi drivers can't be wrong...

Worst

My third car, (1998 S Hyundai Coupe) - bought for £5,995 and I was still paying off the loan three years after I sold it! Had several electronic niggles, but otherwise reliable. Only the worst because it was the wrong car at the wrong price at the wrong time and I should never have bought it in the first place. Thankfully personal loans were extremely cheap in 2005!

Top Bottom