Best Anti Ageing advice ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I would put it the other way round. Mix with people younger and fitter. So long as you can keep up reasonably their superior fitness rubs off. Much of my "sporting" life I have mixed with everything from teenagers [ who bounce when they fall off their bikes] to those about my own age. It also gives a younger outlook on life in general.

I'd definitely go with the 'younger folks for a younger outlook' part.

I hang out with folks of all ages in truth, but generally try to avoid the real 'stick in the muds'

Except here of course.. I come here for a bit of balance :rolleyes:

Mrs M

Guru
Have fun, keep active and don’t worry about whatever you can’t change
Also, get a pet (if you can)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Obviously, "Make sure that you do several hours of vigorous exercise a week" is good advice.

I became a vegetarian at the age of 30, and that seems to have served me well. Nobody back then was saying much about cutting down on red meat and processed meat products but that advice is common now and makes sense.

Wear sunblock. From a really young age.
I agree with that!

I had very bad sunburn as a young child. After that I pretty much kept out of the sun until I started cycling again at the age of 33. The same thing happened... It turns out that my skin is very sensitive to the sun. Since then I have used a lot of sunblock on anything other than brief excursions on sunny days.

My skin has therefore not taken the same solar battering over the years that the skin of many people my age has. Sun-worshippers 10 or even 20 years younger than me often have more wrinkles. (I AM developing them now, but I often see more wrinkles on heavily tanned 40 year olds.)

I know sun-worshipping smokers 10 years younger than me who look 10 years older than me, but I don't know ANY suntanned smokers in their 60s who look younger than their actual age.

One piece of good advice that I ignored until I nearly died was "Avoid obesity"! I have made sure to stay 25-35 kg lighter since then.

screenman

Legendary Member
Do not think that cycling gets you fit for anything other than cycling, yoga, swimming, weights etc. is more beneficial to you. For sure carry on cycling as well though.

ColinJ

Do not think that cycling gets you fit for anything other than cycling, yoga, swimming, weights etc. is more beneficial to you. For sure carry on cycling as well though.
True-ish, but not 100% true - I could put my walking boots on and go for a 20 km walk over the local hills, no bother, despite nearly all of my exercise being cycling.

Anyway - it isn't just a question of fitness - cycling certainly helps to keep you healthy, which is even more important.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Really ? I know some cyclists \ runners who whilst incredibly fit look much older than they are
Lots of runners look haggered and older. I see cycling folks look younger.

screenman

Legendary Member
True-ish, but not 100% true - I could put my walking boots on and go for a 20 km walk over the local hills, no bother, despite nearly all of my being cycling.

Anyway - it isn't just a question of fitness - cycling certainly helps to keep you healthy, which is even more important.
l

Look up cycling and bone density, cycling does very little for overall fitness, notice how a lot of older cyclist have a stoop, you do not see that in swimmers or people who do yoga.

ColinJ

Look up cycling and bone density, cycling does very little for overall fitness, notice how a lot of older cyclist have a stoop, you do not see that in swimmers or people who do yoga.
I know about that. I was making the point that cycling does do a lot for cardiovascular fitness/health.

I wasn't saying that other activities can't make a bigger difference overall.

PS A great combination would be to do triathlon, yoga, and some weights!

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Look up cycling and bone density, cycling does very little for overall fitness.

I believe the study for that was professional cyclists who are pushing their bodies limits and did very little (became sedentary) when not putting in the long hours of cycle training.

For leisure cyclists like ourselves who also likely walk about a fair bit as well, and don’t push the body’s resources to the limit, bone density is not a problem.

Sedentary people should be far more worried about bone density.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Increasingly what is being found from aging research is that what is considered the result of aging is really the result of mostly leading a sedentary lifestyle.

This has been shown across

immune function
brain function
muscle composition
lung function
heart function
bone density

and I’m sure a whole load of other physiological markers from studies I’m not aware of.

Top Bottom