Best Authors.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
There is always one thread or another going on about bands or musicians but it occurred to me that we rarely do the same for authors. My top five:

Anthony Burgess
Len Deighton
Flann O'Brien
Henning Mankell
Andreas Franz

And an honorary mention for Tolkein who I keep coming back to.

Do you like Lee Child and Harlen Coben Andy?

Whole, engaging adventure. Jack Reacher in the Lee Child novels is everyone's hero, and Myron Bolitar in the Harlen Coben stuff (not all his books are based on this character btw)another engaging figure. Good reading.
I'll have to think about a 'top five' as there are so many to chose...:biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Well I'll say favourite rather than best as it would be well quite different and also edited to add in the sense of authors I like a few of their works rather than just one. In geographical order:

Philip K. Dick
Daphne Du Maurier
Terry Pratchett.
Alexandre Dumas
Joanne Harris

A much better thread than on musicians and bands imho :biggrin:

Melvil

Walter Tevis
Anthony Burgess
Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting only, goddamnit!)
Margaret Atwood
John Snelling

DaveyL

Some authors, and recommended books:

Martin Amis (Money, London Fields)
Don DeLillo (Underworld, Libra)
Vladimir Nabokov (Despair and King, Queen, Knave)
David Foster Wallace (Infinite Jest)

Honourable mentions for John Updike, Philip Roth, Anthony Burgess, Iain Banks, Alasdair Gray.

Not necessarily the "best" authors but ones I go back and read when there's nothing new around.

Philip Roth, Franz Kafka, H.G. Wells, J.G. Ballard, Graham Greene and Ernest Hemingway when I need something to "stimulate" what's left of the grey matter.

Robert Rankin and Tom Sharpe when I'm in need of a good laugh.

Mikhail Bulgakovs' "The Master and Margarita",still the most bizarre work of fiction I've ever read.

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive read Henning Mankells books...( Scandanavian police murder stories with a gloomy atmosphere :biggrin:) ....i go with he as well

Solzhenitsyn....gloomy as well :biggrin::blush::biggrin:.

Bugger... i think theres a pattern here. Whats it tell me about me ???

Melvil

Lardyboy said:
Not necessarily the "best" authors but ones I go back and read when there's nothing new around.

Philip Roth, Franz Kafka, H.G. Wells, J.G. Ballard, Graham Greene and Ernest Hemingway when I need something to "stimulate" what's left of the grey matter.

Robert Rankin and Tom Sharpe when I'm in need of a good laugh.

Mikhail Bulgakovs' "The Master and Margarita",still the most bizarre work of fiction I've ever read.

I've got The Master and Margarita on my bookshelf but still haven't got round to reading it! - Hey, I'd like to read some Hemingway - what book would you recommend starting with?

Melvil said:
I've got The Master and Margarita on my bookshelf but still haven't got round to reading it! - Hey, I'd like to read some Hemingway - what book would you recommend starting with?

Melvil I would say start with "The Master...." but I think it might be too much too close to christmas!

Hemingway - Start with "The Old Man And The Sea" , "Snows Of Kilimanjaro", "For Whom The Bell Tolls", "Farewell To Arms"

Melvil

Lardyboy said:
Melvil I would say start with "The Master...." but I think it might be too much too close to christmas!

Hemingway - Start with "The Old Man And The Sea" , "Snows Of Kilimanjaro", "For Whom The Bell Tolls", "Farewell To Arms"

Aye, will get some of that read in the new year, cheers!

Top Bottom