Best before dates on energy gels/energy smoothies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
How did they know?
I thought that but didn't want to ask.

update for info purposes.
Am no great fan of gels as some may have guessed and am no racing snake.
But the other day I downed one in extremis that had a date of 2014 on it - no ill effects and it did its job - allowed me to finish a pretty tough ride - 100 kms up and down up and down moors fully loaded through continuous rain. Stopped in a bus shelter to recover and then did the last 10 miles.
I think they have their uses for such emergency situations - a good idea to pack one or two for a long tough ride - the alternative being an annual subscription to some helicopter recovery service.
I wouldn't worry at all about dates - as I said upthread they are satan's sperm, but satan has his/her uses.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My flat bar group doesn't use gels, hardly surprising since the idea is to ride without knocking yourself out.

However, our experienced leader said the same the same as @Blue Hills - a gel can have its uses in getting you the last few miles if you are really cream crackered.

I was given three or four years ago which will likely now be 'expired' by several years.

I'm grateful to @Blue Hills for being a bad guts test dummy, so might put one in my trunk bag before the next long ride.

On a separate note, a now deceased member got into bother during a hilly tour in Northumberland.

He made himself properly ill by eating several gels in an attempt to complete that day's route.

Seems to me the moral of that story is if one or at most two gels don't do it, find another way.

On a separate note, a now deceased member got into bother during a hilly tour in Northumberland.

He made himself properly ill by eating several gels in an attempt to complete that day's route.

Seems to me the moral of that story is if one or at most two gels don't do it, find another way.
No way would I use several during a ride - that's how they are marketed though I think as a tech solution to the performance crowd - returning customers willing to pay well over £1 a pop. Some folk must be spending a hell of a lot for their rides.
Proper food for me during the ride - I use a mixture of Lidl breakfast goods and my own home-made cycle snack which has a mixture of stuff which gives slow and fast energy release.
Espresso also has its uses for a mental kick if you can be bothered to carry the gubbins.
From now on I will carry 2 gels on big rides - I have a re-usable zip bag which has the gel/s, zero tabs to stave off cramps, orange glucose tablets as sold at sainsburys.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had a couple that were 2019 dated last week, still here. Good job as I bought two boxes on the cheap with short shelf life and still have 90% of them in the box. I don't use them often.

Top Bottom