Best Bike, Minimum 105, Carbon & Hydraulic Discs

Giant Defy or Specialized Roubaix

• Defy

• Roubaix

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CpBulletSponge

Hi All,

Looking to get a new Road Bike with at least 105 groupset, carbon frame and hydraulic discs. Been looking at the following. Wasn't expecting to have to part with £2k for this. Anybody know of any gems by smaller brands etc that I have overlooked. All opinions welcomed on the performance of the below bikes, good or bad.

Thanks All

2015 Sales

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/28498...dvanced-pro-1-carbon-road-bike-red-black.aspx

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/28492...4-comp-disc-road-bike-silver-hyper-green.aspx

2016 New

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/31857...advanced-pro-3-composite-road-bike-white.aspx

Check out Rose bikes or Planet x

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My immediate questions are what makes you think you need hydraulic brakes and what sort of riding do you have planned? You could potentially save a stack of money by not going hydraulic or even disc brakes at all by answering those questions.

To try to answer your question anyway: I am a Defy man, not sure I am a 2K Defy man though.

Wafer

Veteran
At a similar price point is the new Genesis Datum 20 or the GT Grade Carbon 105. Both more 'anyroad' than pure road bikes though.

Hydraulics up the price considerably.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are the UK distributors willing to honour warranties for bikes sourced abroad? If so, that could be a bargain.

OP
OP
C

CpBulletSponge

My immediate questions are what makes you think you need hydraulic brakes and what sort of riding do you have planned? You could potentially save a stack of money by not going hydraulic or even disc brakes at all by answering those questions.

To try to answer your question anyway: I am a Defy man, not sure I am a 2K Defy man though.

Hi, thanks for the response. I'm coming from an MTB background and have always had hydraulic discs. I tried a couple of road bikes at the weekend with both traditional brakes and mechanical disc and found them somewhat lacking. All the bike shops I visited recommended discs at the very least as they believe all road bikes will have them standard within 2/3 years.

I'm not going to be racing or anything, just planning on going out with friends and chewing up some miles for fun and fitness!

Crandoggler

I think that if I was only going to be poodling about with friends, I'd be spending about £1200 less than that. Planet X pro carbon or something from Merlin, decathlon or rose.

outlash

also available in orange
Probably, i guess my thinking was wouldn't be needing any further upgrades and would be set for years to come.

Even on £2k bikes, there will be some compromises. You could easily get better wheels for example, especially where discs are concerned as they're relatively new on road bikes.

Saying that, you could get the brand new Cannondale CAAD12 w/105 and hydro discs for £1500. Spend £500 on better wheels, job done. Not a CF frame, but possibly the best Alu frame money can buy.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I came from an MTB background and have no problem with road caliper brakes, in my opinion there isn't the same need as there is on an MTB. I have just purchased yet another road bike and chose to stay away from disc brakes again, like you I have been underwhelmed by cable discs and whilst hydraulics are great I don't think they are worth the huge outlay unless you are taking the bike off Tarmac roads. Personally, I would be sticking a grand back in my pocket and getting something up to a maximum of £1000 that still gets the full Ultegra and carbon experience.

Top Bottom