Best bike toolkit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
ps,I'm too tight to pay other people to work on it.:laugh:
For repetitive jobs, I agree. Best to learn how yourself. But some jobs you may only need to do very occasionally and if you don't have the specific tools needed or the know how, then it could be more cost effective to invite the LBS to tackle it.

GuyBoden

Guru
In the past, I've found that cheap Toolsets are more trouble than they're worth and can damage your bike. Especially: crank extractors, BB removers, cassette removers, sprocket removers, chain splitters, tyre levers and Allen hex keys made of metal cheese.

freiston

Veteran
I realise that the OP has made a decision but my estimation is that, notwithstanding specific requirements of the bike in question, a decent basic collection should include:
  • some basic non-cycling specific tools such as screwdrivers, pliers spanners (e.g. 10mm and an adjustable) etc.
  • set of Allen Keys (including 8mm for cranks and 10mm for Shimano freehubs) - rim brakes might use small keys for tension adjusting and block retaining screws - iirc, my cantilevers take a 1.5mm key for adjusting spring tension)
  • cassette lockring tool
  • chainwhip
  • something decent to cut cables (I use non-cycle specific Draper Expert Wire Rope Cutter 190mm)
  • spoke key
  • chain tool (I like the Park Tool CT-5 - it can be used in the travelling emergency toolkit too),
  • set of cone spanners,
  • 15mm pedal spanner,
  • something to give decent leverage on, e.g., cassette lockring tools (my Park Tool SR-12 chainwhip has a closed hex spanner at the opposite end of the handle that fits my cassette lockring tool).
Quick link pliers (e.g. a cheap Wolf Tool copy) can be nice and save some swearing, in my experience.
Now that the sealed BB is pretty much universal, BB tool and crank puller can be added when needed. Chainring bolt screwdriver/peg spanner can be added as required.

Wooger

Quick link pliers (e.g. a cheap Wolf Tool copy) can be nice and save some swearing, in my experience.
Now that the sealed BB is pretty much universal, BB tool and crank puller can be added when needed. Chainring bolt screwdriver/peg spanner can be added as required.

Quicklink pliers of some sort are essential I agree. Shame Shimano's are so bizarrely expensive (~50 quid).
The big things you will need a shop for are setting the headset race onto the fork crown, and potentially a BB press for some bottom brackets.

• something to give decent leverage on, e.g., cassette lockring tools (my Park Tool SR-12 chainwhip has a closed hex spanner at the opposite end of the handle that fits my cassette lockring tool).
Isn't it a bit pointless having this on your chain whip when you need to use it at the same time as the lockring tool?

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
Isn't it a bit pointless having this on your chain whip when you need to use it at the same time as the lockring tool?
That is certainly a drawback to using it when removing the lockring but not when putting it back on. It also fits my BB tool 😉
I'm quite happy for Park Tools to utilise the other end of the handle in this way but you are right and I do resort to a large adjustable spanner to remove the lockring. If I lived in a 'two chainwhip' household, it would not be an issue :tongue:. If they put it at the other end of a pedal spanner, I would have probably bought one.

presta

Guru
I've never bought a kit, I just buy what I need when I need it. I've used an ordinary flat spanner for the pedals until fairly recently when I bought a pukka one. Some of my tools are my fathers from the 1930s, some, like the truing stand, chain whip and dishing gauge, are homemade.
This is what I carry in an army surplus tool roll when I'm on the bike, the rest stays at home:

Adjustable Spanner
Allen Keys 3,4,5,6
Screwdriver bits Flat/Poz
Cone Key
Chain Tool
Spoke Key
Junior Hacksaw Blade
Tyre Levers
Wire Brush
Insulation Tape
Sellotape
Penknife
PVC Gloves
Ty-raps
Spare Pump Hose
Rag
Tube Patches
Tyre Patch
Tyre boot
Rubber Solution
Chalk Grater
Chalk
Split Links
Spare Chain Links
Spare Bolts
Spare leather washer for valve stem

I've never bought a kit, I just buy what I need when I need it. I've used an ordinary flat spanner for the pedals until fairly recently when I bought a pukka one. Some of my tools are my fathers from the 1930s, some, like the truing stand, chain whip and dishing gauge, are homemade.
This is what I carry in an army surplus tool roll when I'm on the bike, the rest stays at home:

Adjustable Spanner
Allen Keys 3,4,5,6
Screwdriver bits Flat/Poz
Cone Key
Chain Tool
Spoke Key
Junior Hacksaw Blade
Tyre Levers
Wire Brush
Insulation Tape
Sellotape
Penknife
PVC Gloves
Ty-raps
Spare Pump Hose
Rag
Tube Patches
Tyre Patch
Tyre boot
Rubber Solution
Chalk Grater
Chalk
Split Links
Spare Chain Links
Spare Bolts
Spare leather washer for valve stem
that's quite a collection for on the bike, and I'm no lightweight traveller. dare I ask what the hacksaw blade and wire brush are for?

Top Bottom