Best bike type for occasional etape, weekend rides, panniered LEJOG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
With that usage and budget, I wouldn't restrict myself to disc brakes. The Spa steel tourer has V-brakes which would give ample stopping power in all weathers and are not a problem mechanically. That bike is nicely in your budget, is low-geared and reckoned to be very comfy too.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p2983/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Tourer

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! It's the sight of a nice touring bike that turns my head more than any other type of bike (including the village bike)

The Spa steel tourer (other configurations/finishes are available):
View attachment 355956
That is a lovely bike.
giphy.gif

U

User169

Wouldn't bother with CX/adventure unless you plan to ride off road. The Condor Fratello is a great all rounder with regular and disc versions.

Last edited by a moderator:

freiston

Veteran
Wouldn't bother with CX/adventure unless you plan to ride off road. The Condor Fratello is a great all rounder with regular and disc versions.
I agree with the sentiment (though what is marketed as CX/adventure could be almost anything) and I did rather like a Fratello I saw at a bike show once but I took a look at the Fratello disc on the Condor website and the frameset alone is £800 (non-disc £750) - build a bike on their website and you're starting at about £1400 (with Sora, mudguards and pannier rack).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Probably the Italian frame pushing the price up. I'd certainly consider one if I had that sort of money and it is made to your spec. And it is a Condor.

If you don't want to spend quite so much the CdF gives you more or less the same.

damj

I'm picking up my new bike tomorrow at long last! had been looking at gravel/adventure bikes. However, spotted this one http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Contend-SL-2-Disc-2017-Road-Bike_97695.htm yesterday, to be honest I'd got to the point of giving up the baffling amount of choice for around £1000. Unfortunately you've joined the madness at the wrong time, cycle to work vouchers are snapping up all of the decent end of season 2017 models. Well that's my experience(with my c2w voucher). Hey but good luck. Have a look at the Contend. You never know it could be the one.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The Defy is meant to be better than the Contend, Paul's or Ash cycles might have a 2016 disc for a good price

vickster

Legendary Member
Better in what way, I'm curious?
Better frame apparently. Can't recall where I read that

OP
OP
O

oscarman

Probably the Italian frame pushing the price up. I'd certainly consider one if I had that sort of money and it is made to your spec. And it is a Condor.

If you don't want to spend quite so much the CdF gives you more or less the same.
CdF is looking the favourite - thanks for your input and guidance

Top Bottom