Best bike type for occasional etape, weekend rides, panniered LEJOG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Given my last two rides I'd say a Genesis Equilibrium 853, with a Tubus Fly rack, and one of those nice Salsa seat post collars that doubles as a rack mount to hang it off. But an 'ordinary' Equilibrium would do very nicely.

freiston

Veteran
The Genesis Equilibrium is a nice bike but personally I would need a lower bottom gear - 50/34 & 11-28 - I make that a bottom of about 33 inches - same as my folder - I like a gear in the low 20s for hills (but I'm not as young as I once was and a lot less fit).

vickster

Legendary Member
The Genesis Equilibrium is a nice bike but personally I would need a lower bottom gear - 50/34 & 11-28 - I make that a bottom of about 33 inches - same as my folder - I like a gear in the low 20s for hills (but I'm not as young as I once was and a lot less fit).
Easy enough to change :smile:

freiston

Veteran
True dat. :smile:

Edit: But thinking about it, going up to 32T on the back would only bring it down to 28 inches. Changing the front would be a bit more tricky - there's already 16T difference between the rings which is the maximum for the Shimano 105 FD-5800 front changer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom