Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Shopping

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • S-Bag

• Brompton Bureau

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Checked out some panniers at the Cycle Show today. Caradice appear to do three versions of Brompton panniers: a green one with straps, a black one with straps, and a silver one with clips. I'm quite keen on the silver one. I also quite like Brompton's touring pannier.

When I was at the Brompton factory the other week, I saw someone had a leather Brompton pannier. Where do you get these?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Looks like this poll is out of date now. I couldn't see the old cloth pannier at the Brompton stall at the Cycle Show. It seems to have been replaced by the C bag, which personally I'm not sure is as good. There is also a leather briefcase that fits onto the pannier holder. I would dearly love one of those, but it's not a very sensible way of spending £250.

Darryl

I find the touring bag is great on the bike but can be awkward when carried, especially if the bag is full.

Also I know you can add a rear rack but not sure what panniers are availa ble for it

Darryl said:
I find the touring bag is great on the bike but can be awkward when carried, especially if the bag is full.

Also I know you can add a rear rack but not sure what panniers are availa ble for it

I don't think you put panniers on it but a bag shaped to the bike. I like the Carradice green pannier but I don't know whether you need a different clamp for it.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I don't think you need a different clamp for it, but it's a bit confusing. IIRC the caradice website talks about a larger bracket. I think that actually refers to the metal brace thing which pannier straps onto, not the plastic thing that fits onto the front of the bike. I think you may have to buy it separately for the Caradice panniers.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
There seem to be some nice new Brompton panniers coming out soon. I might hang on for the T bag, as it seems to have significantly more capacity than any other. I love the A bag, but it's a bit dear. Apart from Ortlieb, Caradice still seem to be offering a couple of models. I was tempted by the silver reflective one. You can even still order a wicker basket for a Brompton, although I'm not sure how well it actually clicks onto the pannier holder. It looks a bit iffy to me.

chap

Veteran
Yellow Fang said:
There seem to be some nice new Brompton panniers coming out soon. I might hang on for the T bag, as it seems to have significantly more capacity than any other. I love the A bag, but it's a bit dear. Apart from Ortlieb, Caradice still seem to be offering a couple of models. I was tempted by the silver reflective one. You can even still order a wicker basket for a Brompton, although I'm not sure how well it actually clicks onto the pannier holder. It looks a bit iffy to me.

I am stuck between the C and T bag. The T-bag sounds better, but do I need all that space. Ideally, I could just attach my weekend holdall to the front clip. Actually, there is a thought...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I really like the C bag, having used it all Winter (end of October to the end of February). It's pretty large too (I think if I needed more space, I'd just whack my Carradice on the back of the bike).

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
There is quite a good blog review of the S bag, C bag and Carradice City Folder here.

He doesn't like the Carradice City Folder, but that appears to be from an aesthetic POV. I sort of know what he means. I've seen one or two khaki coloured ones and didn't like them much myself. I didn't realise the buckles were for show. They actually have plastic fasteners. I think I prefer this as buckling and unbuckling straps all day would be a pain. I think I'd get the black version if I were to get one. I'm tempted by the silver Carradry City Folder too, but it has mesh back pockets instead of cloth. Also, I gather it's aimed more for carrying lap tops, folders, paperwork and that sort of thing, where as I use mine more for sports kit.

As far as the C and S bag, if you have the straight handle-barred S-type brompton, you only have the S bag option. If you any of the other handlebar configurations, the C bag seems a better bag.

Still, I have to say I like the look of that new T bag.

Top Bottom