Best Budget Helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you feel you need one, then the best helmet is the one that fits you well and is the most comfortable. Like shoes, different helmets will suit different head shapes, so it's probably best to try a few on before you decide if possible :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you are on a really tight budget lidl are selling helmets for £10 tomorrow
^this

All helmets are pretty much the same. Before splashing out your hard-earned, ask yourself whether you really need one.

Far from it!

A helmet with only EN1078 is considered by some organisers to be inadequate.

A helmet with CPSC or ANSI (now ASTM) have been proven to withstand greater impacts than one passing EN178, and a SNELL Certified helmet has passed the toughest standard of all

Having decided to wear one then:

1. Fit - if it does not fit well, it will be loose in the case of impact and any protection will be compromised
2. Comfort - If it is not comfortable, you will not wear it
3. Try and avoid sharp angles and edges as these can catch on the road surface actually causing injuries. They can also cause the helmet to come off
4. The highest test standard that fits the above.
5. Look either for last years model, or team colours as these are often far cheaper.
6. NEVER, EVER buy a second hand helmet as you do not know if it is already damaged

compo

Veteran
I use a Lidl helmet bought last year and it does the job. Only problem I had with it was the straps were made from a very soft fabric that stretched when damp, and I sweat a lot. I bought some webbing and made a new set of straps and they have worked well.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Planet X have quite a few budget buys and P&P is currently free over £10 (but I don't know for how much longer). I can't give any recommendations though as I'm a confirmed wind in the hair rider.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/helmets?sort=price-asc
I bought an Areo helmet from Planet X For around £15 perfectly adequate and comfy (It hasn't hit the deck with my head attached yet though).
Edit, it's the "flag 2" only £9.99 now.
I checked out loads of helmet weights on line too, this was comparable to many of the more expensive brands.

Tojo

Über Member
It all comes down to what your head is worth, riding motorcycles most of my life, I've always tried to buy the best helmet I could afford (its paid off in the long run) usually in basic colours as they charge a lot more for fancy paint jobs, I'm still knocking about due the extra protection of a quality product, I now rest my case, on experience, but it is down to your personal choice save a few quid or your life .......:whistle:

Top Bottom