Best carol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

Auntie Helen said:
I like the minor key ones, "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" and "In the bleak midwinter" although I struggle with the rather inaccurate imagery in the second one. The descant in Hark The Herald is spine-tingling if you have a decent soprano singing it.

I'm now in a church choir which has some excellent professional singers in it (and then me!) but have gone down with a sore throat lurgi and have had to bow out of the 9 Lessons & Carols tomorrow night. Either that or I should learn the tenor/baritone parts and sing them!

I so miss doing all that this time of year though I too have had the lurgy and it occurred to me earlier in the week I would be struggling with carols.

No warbling sops in the descants please only treble sounding voices

Will1985

Über Member
Our school carol service always started with "I Look From Afar", sung at the West Door with the Cathedral in complete darkness before going to the choir stalls.

Also a fan of "Hark the Herald..." - including the descant even though I haven't had the range for 8 or 9 years.

snakehips

How about Gaudete ?

Nobody else like that ?

I4.jpg

JamesAC

Willow said:
... In dulci jubilo (8 part version can't remember who by)
... adapted by Reginal Jacques, to an old German tune, arranged by R Pearsall.

My favourite is "Lully lulla" (the Coventry Carol) -- closely followed by "Torches, Torches". In fact, almost anything pre-1960 ish.

Have a good sing!

James

Parmonov

I agree with Shaun about O Holy Night. It always gives me shivers when it's sung well. Really a shame if it's not done much over in the UK, as beanzontoast mentioned.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Best Carol?........Vordemen!:biggrin:

Willow

JamesAC said:
... adapted by Reginal Jacques, to an old German tune, arranged by R Pearsall.

My favourite is "Lully lulla" (the Coventry Carol) -- closely followed by "Torches, Torches". In fact, almost anything pre-1960 ish.

Have a good sing!

James

Ah Pearsall, prefer the Lully Lula by Leighton and I'd forgotten Torches we had a version of that about the choirmasters wife but can't remember the words now. So many nice ones. Was going to take myself off to a service this evening but can't face it - had unexpected visitors this pm and suddenly the Christmas low has descended on me.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Willow said:
Ah Pearsall, prefer the Lully Lula by Leighton and I'd forgotten Torches we had a version of that about the choirmasters wife but can't remember the words now. So many nice ones. Was going to take myself off to a service this evening but can't face it - had unexpected visitors this pm and suddenly the Christmas low has descended on me.

Ours went...

Torches, Torches
Stretching rack and thumbscrew
Mr XXXXXX squirming on the stretching rack...

Can't remember the rest.

JamesAC

Willow said:
Shame. Our choir sang at a "9 lessons and carols" service last night, featuring me singing the tenor solo in v3 of "In the bleak..." (Harold Dark). It was all very uplifting stuff. Once the solo was over!!

James

Top Bottom